1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Drivers Ed ~ when did you take it?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by jnbama, Nov 1, 2011.

1. jnbama

jnbama Member 100 Posts

How did you learn to drive ? Ol' Dad started me by sitting in his lap in a 67 Impala wagon, then at 14 yrs old a 73 Impala driving a short distance to church. At 16 learned to shift gears on Big Red a med. duty Dodge truck , learned to float gears by watching and myself when Dad didn't hide the keys while out of town.
  2. KidHauler

KidHauler New Member 100 Posts

I used to plow snow with my uncle, at 2, in a 78 Dodge Warlock. Much later, I started working at a wrecker service, and cut my teeth on that fleet.
    I actually got scolded for driving the wrecker to driver's ed. I held up my radio and said, "but I'm on call!" The instructor slept alot when I drove...
  3. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Member 100 Posts

Well I always had a 4wheeler or go-cart to drive but driver ed, I bet I am the only one that got in a wreck in the driver ed's car :gasp: but it wasnt my fault, I promise!!!
  4. jnbama

jnbama Member 100 Posts

My drivers ed way back when a girl drove into ditch , but have done my share of smashing stuff up over the years
  5. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I first started around 14 in my mom's 2004 Volvo wagon in a big parking lot, then I took driver's ed in a Ford Focus hatchback (not a bad little car) a few years later.
  6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

took driver's ed back in the spring of 1990's. I was actually injured in a sports accident before I could get my license, but I got it in the fall of 1990.
  7. jnbama

jnbama Member 100 Posts

You must be a good driver, a driver trainer at a trucking company told me I would never make a truck driver. Twenty years later have been all over the U.S and Canada in snow, ice, tornados and dust storms and driven just about everything from new Peterbilts to old R Model Macks with holes in the floor
  8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I got kicked out of drivers Ed for smoking pot behind the smoker pit bleachers while waiting for the instructor to drive the course with another group of kids (what can I say it was the 70's everyone was doing it).
    I didnt get my license until I was 17 and in the Navy. The Ca. DMV said since I was an emancipated minor they would allow me to get a drivers license if I showed up to the DMV in full dress uniform with my Commanding Officer and Command Master Chief, when I got there with everyone in tow and started waiting in line they told me they were kidding about the uniform, C.O., and C.M.C., so my C.O. chewed me out in the middle of DMV for wasting his time, the License Examiner felt so bad about getting me chewed out he moved us to the head of the line and didnt make me take the written or driving test.
    As we were walking out of the DMV my C.O. turned to me and said chewing people out in the middle of a crowd like that always guarantees you head of the line privledges but thats the first time I ever saw them waive the test for it too.
  9. KidHauler

KidHauler New Member 100 Posts

^^^ "Navy invades local DMV. Film at eleven!"
    Ah, which of you drove to the office?
  10. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Why I did of course in a Goverment vehicle since I was the lowest ranking.
    But I'm sure the statue of limitations has run out on that by now, at least I hope it has.