Drivers Ed ~ when did you take it?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by JnBama, Nov 1, 2011.

1. sgtsjj

sgtsjj Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

took it back in 04, the vehicle for drivers ed was a trailblazer

2. JnBama

JnBama Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

A few years ago was hauling lumber on a winding two lane up in TN. and came up on a slow moving vehicle. Was trying my best not be right up on them, but they kept getting slower and slower. Two boys in back seat turned around waving and put up a Student Driver sign in the back window, they finally pulled off and the poor kid driving was sitting straight up, eyes forward with a white knucle grip on the steering wheel.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  3. NCN8ive

NCN8ive Rockstar 100 Posts

I took drivers' ed in spring of 1983. The first car we drove for it was a 1983 Pontiac Firebird. I think it was a demo from one of the local dealerships. Ended up finishing in a Chrysler K car. Of course I had to wait another 4 months before I could even get my limited permit.

4. marko54

marko54 Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Never took formal driver training. I guess i'm revealing my age. I grew up when Muscle cars were on their way out due to gas shortages. my father drove a chrysler newport with a 440 motor. when the odd/even days of gas purchasing due to mile long lines at the gas pump started, he came home with a brand new Toyota Celica GT 5spd. He drove 60 miles a day and neeed a 25-30mpg. car. this was in 1973 when i was 16 and he taught me how to drive in it with the standard shift. I took my road test in it. The motor vehicle tester looked at the stick and asked" are you sure you want to take a road test on a stick?" needles to say i passed easily.

5. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I took driver's ed classes in the evenings in a back room in the local Montgomery Ward's store at the mall, driving a Ford Pinto for the road part of the class. I guess that shows my age! Driver training is really lacking in this country, I never drove in England but I remember my brother did, and he had to take his driver test in a stick, automatics were not allowed, he had to do a hill start without rolling back or automatic fail, any missed shifts or stalls or jerky starts automatic fail, 3 point turn, parallel park etc. My daughter took her drivers test at the high school, didn't even have to learn to parallel park and she has no idea what a 3 point turn is. The idea of car control has disappeared, hell, the cars control you now!

6. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

When I took it I didnt have to learn to parallel park but I did have to learn the 3 point turn, but cars these days like the ford focus, push a bottom, car parallel parks itself, cool technology but sometime later people wont know how to drive a car without the car doing it for them

7. JnBama

We had a 73 Impala, dad had four 5gal. gas cans filled and hid in the garage

8. TomsHHR

TomsHHR Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

My drivers Ed was back in "69"

9. JnBama

I did stupid stuff as a kid but at least had some common sense , some people out there have no idea what they are doing including truck drivers

10. marko54

marko54 Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Unfortunately i have to agree with you. I have 27 years Experience driving Semi-trucks and 16 with my present LTL carrier. i am on the road daily and see some truckers doing crap thats beyond belief. makes me wonder who they bribed to get a CDL license