Drivers mirror - need info please?

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by cadman, Dec 1, 2009.

1. cadman

cadman New Member

Somehow or someone busted my drivers side mirror. Just the mirror glass is busted, the housing is fine. All internals like turn signal and whatnot work on it. This is a 2004 Tahoe LT. Have done some searching on the net for a couple of things. Replacement glass and maybe some sort of instructions for this. I have replaced mirrors before, but just the whole assemblies. The whole thing for this is entirely to expensive. Seems I should be able to pick up just the mirror and take the old busted one off of the backing plate and snap the new one in somehow. With that said, could you all please tell me where I can get just the mirror reasonably? I do need one for a LT model with turn signal and all if possible. Also, can you all point out some sort of diagram or set of instruction on replacement? As a last resort I thought I had seen that there are stick-on replacement mirrors that go over the busted one. How are these? I cannot afford to spend a lot, but would like to be able to the OEM working on for the LT. Yes, I have checked eBay and did find one or two, but again, can I replace just the glass? What model years are direct fit for this? Will 2005 work? You know, how year ranges were similar. Anyhow, thanks for reading and hopefully you can help me out here!
  2. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

A glass shop should be able to cut a mirror from a pattern that you can make from another vehicle's unbroken mirror. Clean off any residual glass and use an epoxy adhesive.
  3. cadman

cadman New Member

Is that my only option? Can any of you others give input to?
  4. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You could go to GM,or to a wrecking yard to get one. I think unplugged may have a faster way of getting it done, and you wouldn't have to take your door panel off. Hope this helps you. Good Luck!
  5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

6. cadman

cadman New Member

What about those stick on mirrors? I read about them but cannot actually find ones for a 2004 Tahoe.

Is there no way to replace just the mirror without pulling the door off? I am not opposed to that, but cannot afford $200 right now if I cannot find it on the cheap.

Any other options?

Thanks for the responses so far.
  7. cadman

cadman New Member

Okay..... so I am assuming that I cannot get just the mirror and replace that? One that will work with most of the features that my mirror with turn signal, heat, defog, etc... has?

Then lastly, can one of you point me to something that shows an illustration of taking the door panel off to replace the mirror on the drivers side? I don't want to start and have stuff just fall out and whatnot. I did find some reasonable full mirros (the whole thing, not just the glass) and may just go this route if nothing else is good.

Any other input is much appreciated!
  8. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Is this what you are Looking for??,
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290377016239&category=33649&_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D10%26ps%3D63

Edit:I would think you would need to get this mirror,as you have the turn signal in the mirror.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  9. cadman

cadman New Member

Yeah... that is exactly like the ones I have seen on eBay. Although there are a few that were about $110 that looked like a replacement for mine. I did get the PM you sent and so now I am wondering if I should just get the mirror or the assembly. Money wise the mirror would work, but how hard is it really to replace the whole unit like the one in the eBay auction? Thanks for the response and links!
  10. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I had the same problem,and just replaced the mirror[Glass]only.Nothing but problems with it.So I ended up getting the Mirror housing,the one from the early reply above and no problem's.