1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Driver's Side Rear Window Gremlin's.

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Allmostsmart, Jan 11, 2009.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Allmostsmart

Allmostsmart New Member

I have a 1997 Suburban and the rear window on the drivers side has a mind of its own sometimes. Sometimes when you bring it down it won't come back up. If I don't have the windows locked sometimes it goes down on its own. I am thinking it is a bad switch but just wanted to throw it out there to see if anyone else has had that problem.
  2. Allmostsmart

Allmostsmart New Member

I guess I will replace the switch. Thanks for all the help guys.
  3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Hmmm - sorry no one replied-it wasn't mean ness -probably most folks thought you were right on the money on the switch .

You are in Alaska-AK- sister in law is in Wasilla, Freakin' cold there- is the window worse in the winter than the summer? I winder if the switch can freeze open or shut?

Is rust corrosion a problem there-salt roads-and obviously salty sea? The switch might be done. You can usually get on cheap on Ebay. You might be able to take the switch out and hand rehab it-scrub off the corrosion-stuff die electric grease on the contacts

Luck,
    Charlie- I live outside New Orleans where it is a very cold-for us, 38 degrees .-Might actually hit freezing tonight- big deal around here!
  4. Allmostsmart

Allmostsmart New Member

Yeah, its pretty cold. I actually first noticed it this summer so I know its not freezing up. I have been so busy I just now have gotten around to fix it. It doesn't do it if I have the windows locked from up front but if I accidently unlock it then randomly it will just come down on its own. If I catch it I can hold the button up front in the up position and it will stay where its at until I let it go and then it will go the rest of the way down. Thats why I was aiming towards the switch in the back. Then I just beat on the switch a little and usually I can get it to come back up.
  5. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I think it sounds like the switch is bad.

Sorry for the delay in replies!:money:
  6. Allmostsmart

Allmostsmart New Member

No Worries, I just started working the night shift, and I get kinda cranky. my apologies to all. I found a couple switches at the junk yard if those don't work I will hit up ebay
  7. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Sounds good!
    Keep us updated!
  8. JMoney02

JMoney02 New Member 100 Posts

Yes us night shift people can be cranky if we stay up working all night and then have to go do things without a Nap, I know because I work nights also....Switch the Switch.....

Jeff
  9. Allmostsmart

Allmostsmart New Member

I pulled out the switches from the other Suburban and they are horrible looking I haven't put them in yet but for a couple bucks I guess you can't beat it. I got some electronics cleaner from work and I am going to hose them out today. Should have them in by tonight.
  10. Allmostsmart

Allmostsmart New Member

Got the switch in and it seems to be working right now. It was an intermittent problem so only time will tell.