1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

driver's window, how to defeat auto-down feature

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by dpeter, Oct 29, 2011.

1. dpeter

dpeter New Member 100 Posts

The driver's side auto down feature for window is NOT one of my favorites. So this is my start at researching how it is done and how to eliminate it. Anybody know how it works or how to defeat it?
  2. sea_goin_dude

sea_goin_dude New Member

I know this is an old thread but first you need a wiring diagram of your truck. Somewhere (inside the door) there should be a switch that seals around the down switch until the window reaches the bottom of its normal travel when this switch opens and stops the control voltage. All you have to do is fine this switch and disconnect it. then you will have to hold the down button until you want to stop the window. Simple circuit but you may have problem getting door panel back so it looks right ;o) good luck

PS there may also be a wire on the down button itself that may be disconnected hard to tell not seeing a diagram but this isn't a hard problem to fix.
  3. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Its much easier to just hold the button firmly down to the point you want the window....anything else you get the auto down.
  4. sea_goin_dude

sea_goin_dude New Member

Figured a truck owner whould know the basic way the switch works. But you are right. ;o)
  5. dpeter

Seems there is no parrallel switch around the door mounted one and it is a function of the switch itself. sstoner911, I have looked all over for some relief from this troublesome feature and nowhere that I have looked is this mentioned. I will now go try it.

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

sstoner911, the opperation you suggest to get past the auto down feature does not work on my 2000 Yukon. I was all giddy there for a moment but not so much now:frown:.
  6. Dana W

Dana W Member 100 Posts

S'funny how people are so different. My 99 burb has that and I get mad when the thing only chugs a 1/2" open if I want it to go all the way down, then I hold the button longer which activates the Auto-down. My Mustang GT has Auto-down & auto-up on both (all) windows and I love having it.

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

Can you replace it with a rear window switch?
  7. dpeter

Hey, it's what makes the world go round. Dana W, not a bad idea but the front driver switch is a combo deal and not a direct replacement for a rear But you have given me a positive direction. Think I'll head to the Pull-A-Part and perform some surgery on some switches.