1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Driveshaft...........U-Joints?

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by TRPLXL2, Feb 21, 2010.

1. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I ran off the road a few weeks ago, and after they pulled me out I have had a loud clunking noise from under the truck. I had someone look at it and they said the U-Joints are shot, also had my dad check it and he agreed. When I went to Auto Zone to get parts they asked me If I have a 2 or 3 joint shaft, I didn't know so I had him come outside and look at it for himself. He didn't know for sure, and he said something about my truck not having a factory drive shaft. I have owned it since it was brand from day 1, and I can assure you this is the stock drive shaft that was in it when I bought it. Here are some pictures to check out, how many joint shaft would you guys think it is?

My dad had me buy 5 universal joints since the one's they have listed are all the same number, and we're hoping the other two mystery joints that we have are the same kind. I also bought a new carrier bearing assembly from timken, I got all heavy duty stuff since I drive the truck hard. Here's a link to the U-Joints I bought, they are the Duralast Gold one's.

http://www.autozone.com:80/autozone...splayName=U-Joint&searchText=universal joints
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Pics

The guy at Advanced Auto said something about some of the S-10's that first came out in my body style were changed over at the dealership, I guess they swapped these shafts like mine into the 2 piece shafts. After thinking about it I remember mine had just come off the delivery truck when I bought it, It never sat on the lot even one day so maybe they didn't do the change to my truck and I got stuck with the defective one LOL!

The first U-Joint behind the transmission

[​IMG]

Carrier Bearing assembly

[​IMG]

Set of U-Joints in the middle of the truck, right next to the gas tank.

[​IMG]

Last set of U-Joints back by the rear end.

[​IMG]
  3. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I see 5 u-joints. So, I assume you have the 5-piece set up.

BTW, I'm extremely glad I live up north where there is snow.