1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

DRL Trouble Shooting

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Mean_Green_95, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Ok, so I have a 2000 Sierra, 5.3 auto, SLE. My DRL's used to work no problem. Then, some time ago, they decided to stop working.

Symptoms:
    DRLs do not turn on (the little light next to the turn signal)
    Low beam headlights come on and stay on as if the DRLs were working properly and it was dark.
    Dash lights also act as if the DRLs were working and it was just dark.

Trouble shooting attempts:
    I've looked at all the fuses and Relays and they are all working correctly and aren't blown.
    Changed the ambient light sensor with two other ones that I got out of a junk yard.
    The DRL light bulbs aren't burnt out.
    Looked over some of the wires and couldn't find any broken, frayed, or unplugged wires.
    Searched the internet for any possible answers, procedures, and fixes and found none.

I'm thinking that putting a small LED into the ambient light sensor will give the system the resistance that it needs to think that it is daylight. This will result in the DRL's coming on, but me having to manually turn on the head lights, which I'm ok with.

Any thoughts, comments, experiences?
  2. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Nevermind guys. I went to GMfullsize.com and found my answer. I disabled my auto head lights so now the DRL's work. Thanks anyways though.