1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

DRL's are dead, not a bulb issue

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by buckmeister2, Dec 13, 2012.

1. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member

my DRL's do not work on the 01 1500 i just bought, and i replaced both bulbs. i know some people did not like them, and disabled them by cutting wires. i checked the harnesses, and they are fine. any other ideas? is it at all common for the light sensor to go bad? if not, what other issues cause both DRL not to work?

thanks,

buckmeister2
  2. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

IIRC, the DRLs are controlled by a fuse. On my 1997 truck you could disable DRLs by pulling a fuse.

I've never understood WHY people don't like DRLs. It makes ZERO sense to me.

Me, I like the fact that I never have to touch the headlight switch.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Some people do not realize that it has to be in gear for them to come on. When I bought my 02 I thought that mine did not work, then realized that it has to be in gear. If the parking brake is set then with some models they do not turn on. Turn the key forward, not started, put it in gear and see if they come on. [MENTION=57614]stchman[/MENTION] , I think that he is referring to the drivinglights not the auto headlights.
  4. Revredneck

Revredneck New Member

It may be something as simple as a faulty fuse or relay. Really difficult to diagnose on a message board. You need to locate a wiring diagram in order to check it out fully. [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a schematic for the DRL's on your truck. Hope it helps.
    Good Luck and God Bless.
    [​IMG]
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

A common issue with the DRLs is the ambient light sensor (the little dome near the center of your dash). It could be your culprit...
  6. 87silver

87silver New Member

I don't know if the '01 1500 is different from my '02 S10 4x4, but you can disable the DRLs on them with a simple process:

When necessary, you may turn off the automatic the Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) feature by following these steps. When the system is turned off, the headlamps will not automatically come on when it becomes dark outside.
    1. Turn the ignition to RUN.
    2. Press the DOME OVERRIDE button four times
    within six seconds. After the fourth press of the
    button, a chime will sound informing you the
    system is off.
    3. The system will revert back to the automatic mode
    when the DOME OVERRIDE button is again pushed
    four times within six seconds (a chime will sound).
  7. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member

that is a sound idea, but i already knew that. in gear, brake set, no lights.

- - - Updated - - -

That is good to know, but it did not do it. Do you know what the larger blocks in the central fuse system are? I think they are circuit breakers. One of them is marked DRL...I cannot see how to get it off. Possibly that has something to do with the DRL not working
  8. 87silver

87silver New Member