1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Drop Shackle Install.

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by adampaul1964, Mar 13, 2011.

1. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

So, started installing my drop shackles today, not going too bad but I decided to take a break and post up the progress so far. I decided to take off the bed because on a previous attempt I discovered the drivers side shackle bolt is seized up. Removing the bed was surprisingly easy, 6 bolts, unhook the taillight harness and disconnect the gas filler and lift it off. My son and I were able to lift it off but I think it'll be better with 2 more people to but it back on, it's pretty heavy, even for a 5 1/2 footer! Passenger side went on easily, just supported the axle and removed the bolts, done! Driver side is a different story, the bolt is seized up tight, I figured with the bed off I would be able to drive it out but it will only go so far then locks up tight. So it's going to get cut and replaced with a new bolt. One of the other reasons I chose to remove the bed was to get to the spare tire mechanism. I had tried previously to drop the spare but it was locked up too. But a little persuasion and I got it down and out of there.

Bed Removed!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Passenger side shackle on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spare gone.

[​IMG]

Going back out to cut off that bolt now!
  2. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Good luck with that bolt. I wanted to put shackles on my truck, but both bolts are seized up and I haven't had the time and motivation (at the same time, anyway) to pull the bed off. My last attempt to do the shackles was at the shop at my school. A Snap-On impact gun with 900 ft-lbs of reverse force couldn't get those bolts to even turn.

But, you have one side done, so you've made more progress than me. I'm interested to see your truck once you're done.
  3. adampaul1964

Got the other side done. Sawzall took care of it. If not for stuck bolts, shackles are pretty easy to install. Really easy with the bed off! I had my Wife and youngest daughter help me and my son put the bed back on, with the extra hands it was much more manageable than when me and him took it off. Got everything bolted up and took it out for a spin! Rides pretty good and handles better, sway bars will be going on next. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the way the truck sits now, it's pretty much what I was hoping for when I decided to lower the truck.

Driver side on.
    [​IMG]

Seized bolt...cut!
    [​IMG]

Bed back on and finished up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is how it looked before.(Lift keys and blocks)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  4. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Looks good. I like the new stance of your truck.
  5. HawaiiKid

HawaiiKid Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Looks awesome, and the frozen bolt issue is exactly what I had on my install! Truck is lookin awesome Adam, so happy Sandy's parts made it to a good home!

So are you still thinking about drop spindles, or are you happy with is as is?
  6. adampaul1964

I think for the moment I'm happy the way it is now, I think it looks good with just the 2/4 drop. Plenty of tire clearance but close enough to look more "street" oriented, I think to drop the rear more I'd have to do a "flip" kit or change springs and I'm not prepared to do all that.
  7. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Nice work Adam:great: Working on your truck without the bed must have been great haha.
  8. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Adam,Looks Great with the New Stance!!!....:great:.....and with those Rims......Your Truck looks Awesome!!
  9. clgoch187

clgoch187 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

lookin good adam. i love the slight rake on a lower truck, you still going for the SS bumpers?
  10. adampaul1964

Thanks Corey, yes I'm definitely doing an SS bumper, I have the cover now, I'm going to have it painted soon, Todd Auto Body will do it for $275 so I'll probably take it over this week or next, then I'll be able to put it on!

[​IMG]