Drop tank or remove bed?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by sdavis2702, Nov 22, 2008.

1. sdavis2702

sdavis2702 Rockstar 100 Posts

I just bought my 2000 1500 and I'm pretty sure it has a bad fuel pump. Its hard on starting and idles a bit rough. I got my codes read and there's a multi cylinder issue. I didn't find any vacuum leaks... I really think it's my FP.

So my question is, is it easier to drop the tank or remove the bed... considering I have a full shop to work in and people to help... whatcha think?

2. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I vote for dropping the tank. Pulling the box sounds like a simple task but where do you put it when it's off? the wiring harness might be a nuisance as well.

3. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

drop the tank, the job only takes an hour.

4. EagleTalons

EagleTalons Rockstar 100 Posts

Well pulling the box could have its uses. You could clean the bottom of the box and under coat it. Also it gives easy access to all fuel components. The wiring harness isn't that big of a deal. Most likely connected to the frame and then just hooks to the lights on the bed.

5. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would suggest dropping the tank. You might find yourself snapping bolts if you try to take off the bed although your truck isn't all that old. :neutral:

6. sdavis2702

Good deal guys thanks. I think I am just going to drop the tank. EagleTalons had a good suggestion but I'm not too worried about cleaning it right now. Thanks though!

I just filled my freakin' tank man haha... that sucks.

7. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I agree!
    dropping it is the lesser of the 2

8. jdchet

jdchet Member

I would check the fuel pressure to make sure the pump is bad before rippin' stuff apart! My experience with GM fuel pumps is either they work.......or they don't. Good luck!

9. sdavis2702

Good advice I'll do that today... because each time I said "my fuel pump is going out", I would think to myself how I have never heard that phrase before hahaha.

10. EagleTalons

EagleTalons Rockstar 100 Posts

No harm in replacing it though!