Dual Batteries... Which battery to use?

Discussion in 'GM Diesel & DuraMax' started by Dukeschevy, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Dukeschevy

Dukeschevy Rockstar 100 Posts

I have a 2000 chevy 6.5 Diesel with two batteries. I wanna install accesories(radio amp, lights, air compressors, ect.) Can somebody tell me which battery I should wire these things to? Does it matter Drivers or passenger side? Im not really sure how the charging/starting/drawing works with two batteries. Any knowledge would be greatly appriciated thanks

2. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

I know for jump starting a vehicle with two batteries you always jump from the main battery and main negative. So, my best guess would be the same for running accessories. One of the batteries should be connected to the main positive or the one going to the starter. (this would be the one to run accessories off of). Have to trace the wires but find the battery that runs cables from itself to the other battery directly (this battery would be the secondary) the other battery would be the main battery.

Hope this makes since, and be my best guess.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It doesn't make any difference.

The dual batteries on a diesel are wired in parallel with heavy cables for maximum starting power.

4. Dubsport

Dubsport New Member

Yes, which ever on is more convenient to attach wires to.

5. Dukeschevy

Dukeschevy Rockstar 100 Posts

Thanks guys, makes things easier. I can wire things straight back instead or around the engine :)