1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dual Batteries

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by nickgiacalone, Mar 29, 2009.

Random Gallery Photos

1. nickgiacalone

nickgiacalone New Member 100 Posts

I have been thinking lately about adding an additional battery to my truck. I already have the OEM heavy-duty alternator (same one used to power dual battery trucks) and the truck has the second battery rack on the front driver side of the engine compartment. Has anyone ever installed another battery? and how hard is it?
  2. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Do a search for "dual battery"... and/or have a look in the How To section.
  3. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You probably don't need one. The dual battery is really for the diesel motor in cold climates. Unless you are powering a lot of extras the extra battery is not needed. The newer trucks run everything off the battery and uses as little of the alternator as possible. So when you're driving down the highway and your AC and stereo (and the kicker) are on the alternator is not cranking out it's full power. But if you are draining your battery to listen to your music in the driveay it might be a good idea.
    I got the info about the alternator putting out as little as possible from a GM mechanic director if you are curious.
  4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Good Reply! You only need one battery unless you have:

A camper
    A winch
    A diesel engine
    An on board Welder
    A BIG Stereo :)
  5. kcb37

kcb37 New Member

If you have a reason, just put it in the second tray, and run a battery cable from the pos to pos, and neg to neg. This will give you the amps from both batteries but 12 v.
    If your hook them up pos neg, pos neg then you will have amps from both batteries but you will also get 24 v and blow up something. So when ever you hook them up or disconnect and reconnect them make sure you get pos pos, neg neg.