Dual Battery Issue "leaking battery" 2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 8.1L Gas

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by pressemm, May 15, 2013.

1. pressemm

pressemm New Member

Hi, have had this truck since new, it's currently got 87K miles on her. 2006 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD 4x4 8.1L Gas. It's got the OE dual battery set up. The second battery that's on the back passenger side compartment of the engine consistently leaks. I've replaced it 3 times so far, bought the first replacement set, and then returned the secondary battery under warranty twice so far, the last time about two months ago and now the new battery is leaking like a sieve. Bosch batteries from Pep Boys. I've tested the batteries while running and the front drivers side battery, which I assume is the main, is always fine at 14Volts and is perfect and never leaks. This new leaking secondary battery in the back left passenger side is reading 12 volts.

As stated earlier, I've had to replace this secondary battery 3 times so far because of leaking excessively.

The only extra hooks ups I have is a Memphis amp powering 4 door speakers and that's ran off of the front battery, which never has any issues. No other accessories hooked up to this secondary battery, no snow plows or lights, just the OE factory wiring since new.

Is this secondary battery "cooking" or something? Last time I replaced it under warranty is appeared very hot (during summer months) and appeared swollen and leaking. But never any problems with main front battery, ever, only pain in the neck back secondary battery.

I hope I've listed all pertinent info.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be? Thanks in advance for any help!

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I've got a Diehard Platinum battery as my primary and another one as my auxiliary battery -- in the exact location yours is in -- and have never had any issues. Perhaps go with a different brand, next time?

3. troutbug

troutbug Rockstar 100 Posts

Not sure what is causing the problem, but don't feel alone. My dad has a 2006 Duramax, and the same battery (back, passenger side) leaked, and actually ate through the battery tray. He has only replaced it once, but he has under 20K miles and his engine hours are also on the low side. I don't think these batteries are isolated from the factory, just wired parallel. Maybe you could benefit from one of the newer "smart" isolators that will only charge the second battery when needed?

4. pressemm

pressemm New Member

I still haven't figured the problem out, but I've disconnected the auxiliary for now, and as I thought, that auxiliary as I assumed is just a backup because nothing was affected with it unhooked. So for now, until I can get some answers or until I get it checked out somewhere, I will just leave it unhooked and clean and repaint the tray and surrounding area that has the battery acid on it. I don't run any other accessories that would require the second battery so I should be fine with just the main battery. I still need some advice if someone who's experienced this reads the post. Thanks Friends!