1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

dual batterys in a tahoe

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by Conlan Rose, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

ok so for the first time since i got my new 1000amp battery with 800cca and 110 reserve capacity my truck didnt start i was soo angry it was insane thank god my neibor is a used car salesman so he has a jump pack. im aware that just one time out of months of perfect starting really means nothing but i really am thinking about adding another 1000 amp battery and putting a bigger alternator in the truck.

i know theres already threads on the site about adding another battery but im not sure which is the best to use. also im wondering where i can get a bigger alternator for a decent price and also no sure what size i should get.

i do run alot of accesorys off the truck and it drains the batt also im adding in more aux lights so theres going to be even more drain so id love some advice.

also on a side note thats off topic i love the new look of the site this is first time ive been on in like two months.
  2. Kraziken

Kraziken New Member

3. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC New Member 1000 Posts

What size alternator are you looking for and what's your budget?
  4. The Heater

The Heater Member

I am shopping for a high output alternator. Here are links to two sites I am considering for purchase: https://www.dcpowerinc.com/

http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/highoutput.html

I am also buying a deep cycle Optima battery. I currently run an Optima Red Top (starting) battery. I contacted Tech Support at Optima, told them what I was doing with the truck in terms of electrical loads, and they told me which model batteries to consider. One, not two batteries, but your requirements may be more. I personally only want one battery and a 270 amp alternator.

If the battery is not getting recharged, eventually it loses enough that it won't turn your starter. However, even with a high output alternator, if you don't drive long enough at a high enough alternator rpm (roughly thrice your engine rpm), you won't charge the battery anyway. So the battery may not be your issue. And it may not even be the alternator if your daily drive time and speed is not enough.

A deep cycle battery has more reserve to still start your truck if your accessories put a drain on it. It sounds like you bought a starting battery, which will have less reserve. That is the amp hours.

A 250 - 300 amp alternator should charge your battery just fine. Check out the specifications of some of the alternators on those web sites I gave. The idle output is incredibly high. But the pricing is way up there: $500-660. But both of these sellers give a 2 year warranty. More than others I shopped. Nations gives a full 2 year replacement warranty.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  5. Conlan Rose

I have a duralast gold battery ment for extra starting power and plenty of extra juice for Accessories. The current alternator on thr truck is a 100 amp I was thinking double that at least

The truck was only sitting saterday and Sunday this weekend. I think the heated seat I have I left on friday durring thefeb day and even tho it started friday afternoon it probably didn't charge all the way on my 2 mile commute.

My budget is only like $200 cuz I don't have much extra cash right now. And probably 150 for another battery and wiring
  6. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts

Therein lies the problem... "Duralast". Spend your money on a good battery and skip the alternator for now. You can always upgrade that later but you gotta get rid of the duracrap battery first to see where you are.
  7. Conlan Rose

the battery isnt the problem ive done the reasearch the duralast battery i have is one of the best on the market and most powerful that i can afford.
  8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Ok What are you running off the Battery? Is the truck on or off?
  9. Conlan Rose

currently running all standared equipment as well as my aftermarket radio also running a couple 12v accessories like heated seat cover phone charger and gps. but soon adding extra set of driving lights and back up light, 55 watt bulb on each. usually if the accessories are on the truck is running very rare that i have them on with out it running. but i do think there is an unknown drain somewhere just not sure what.

---------- Post added at 07:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 AM ----------

also will be running trailer aux power soon.
  10. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts

According to who? The guy behind the counter at Auto Zone? You were talking earlier in this thread about buying hi output alternators and optima batteries. Now you are saying that all you can afford is a world class never last battery. There is a reason that the good stuff costs more!

We have fire trucks loaded down with electronics that don't have dual batteries that work just fine. you should research your problems thoroughly and fix them right instead of cobbing a bunch of stuff together to try to cover the problem. It will be much cheaper in the long run. Start by looking for a power drain when the vehicle is off. If there is a drain, then figure out why. If there isn't, then your battery is junk.

I am not trying to be hard to get along with here, and you are going to what you want anyway, but you did come on here asking for advice and opinions. My opinion is that Duralast is junk and my advice is to fix it right instead of designing a system to rig it up. The way I see it you have 2 choices... Fix the real problem or carry a jump box around with you.