Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dual exhaust decibels!

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by blue1992, Feb 23, 2012.

1. blue1992

blue1992 New Member

I just installed a MBRP pro series cat-back dual exhaust system on my 2010 Silverado. To be honest, I'm a little disappointed in the loudness and sound of it. I was hoping for more. I wanted an exhaust that was really loud, with a nice, deep tone. This one just doesn't do it for me. Is there anything I can do to make my truck louder?
    And, I have heard differ opinions on this, but do larger or smaller diameter exhaust pipes make the system louder? I have heard people say each way makes it louder, which is it?!
    The exhaust system I have uses a 3 inch pipe from the cat to the muffler, then after the muffler splits into dual 2 1/2 inch pipes out the rear of the truck to the tips. Any help or suggestions would be awesome!!
  2. SWAT13

SWAT13 Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 100 Posts

flowmaster super 10..it's a one chamber muffler, that has a super deep throaty sound. I had one on my white 2011 silverado. all stock exhaust except for the muffler. go to youtube and search for xxxj70xxx. look under my videos and check it out. now understand, i recorded it with my ipod..so the video doesnt do it justice. but if i goose it in parking lots..car alrms chirp! lol
    also, one of my videos found it's way to this site. it's actually the girl with the big "Lungs" on the main page under media
  3. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Idk if that kit removed the resonator but if it didn't then take that out, but I run the stock exhaust pipe to a 1 into 2 10 series and it's loud enough
  4. Josh

Josh Member 100 Posts

ive come to find that my years of tinkerin on engines that headers make a huge difference. the mbrp exhaust prolly would sound sick if it had non restrictive headers and no cats. where i live you can run open headers and no one would care.:lol:headers for my truck gotta wait. to expensive.
  5. ahmitchell1

I do agree for sound headers can make a truck sound a lot better,I love no emission I don't own a single vehicle that could pass emissions, sorry earth
  6. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Is this a Diesel? I hear that exhaust is not as loud on the diesels due to particulate filters.
  7. Swatchvy

Swatchvy Rockstar

My experience is that headers make for a much nicer tone, however it quiets the truck down. Bear in mind that I was running straight pipes and added the headers after, on 2 separate occasions. My 2 cents.
  8. blue1992

blue1992 New Member

[MENTION=28925]ahmitchell1[/MENTION] - what exactly is the resonator? I removed everything behind the cat. The clamp that held the pipe to the cat was retained, but the pipe was replaced with the mbrp system.
    [MENTION=19572]sstoner911[/MENTION] - No, this is the 5.3 gas engine.

After hearing it for a while now, its prett loud. It could be a little louder when it is idling, but when you hit the gas it gets much much louder. I have only heard it from inside the cab, but from what people have said its pretty loud if you are outside the truck. I'll have to give it a little time, maybe i'll learn to like it more, or maybe I'll decide to do some more with it to make it deafening lol
  9. ahmitchell1

The resonator is where that clamp is the cats on our truck are more towards the headers on the y pipe.