GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Dual exhaust installed on the Suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Crawdaddy, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator

This past Saturday, I went to a local highly-recommended exhaust shop and had a dual exhaust installed on my Suburban. I had a laundry list of requirements that needed to be met such as having the exhaust run on 1 side of the truck for a future on-board air system, no exhaust tips, quiet on the highway with no drone, and not lose low end by going with too large an exhaust. Well, he more or less met the requirements.

He installed dual turbo mufflers for a quiet drive, and they are. They just don't have any rumble to them... The exhaust is new from right after the donut gasket flange all the way back. I thought I was getting some catalytic converters, but no, none to be found. He did install an X-pipe where the cat used to be. All the exhaust runs from the front to back on the drivers side, then right before the axle are the pair of turbo mufflers on edge. Then it cuts over to each side with a side exit right behind the wheel. I wanted a nearly straight output like the factory exhaust, but he put it at more of a 45 degree angle. I'm not crazy about it, but I'll get over it I guess. Then he didn't clean up the ends of the pipe where they exit, and I think they're not even. A round file will clean up the ends, but not being even can't be easily fixed without cutting out part of the pipe and remaking it. I might take it back to the shop next weekend and have them fix up the rear exhaust exits. Maybe even make them remake them for the flat angle I wanted in the first place.

I paid $400 for the system. How'd I do? Pics and video to follow.
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

$400 for duals from the flange to the back isnt bad at all. Cant wait to see and hear it.
  3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator

I took a video yesterday of the system, but didn't get a chance to upload it. I'll do it tonight when I get home. It's really nothing that sounds impressive, but is more functional than my previous exhaust which was held on by a coat hanger. Actually sounds a little less mean than my original exhaust did. However, this truck's primary purpose is for long road trips and hauling my camper where drone is absolutely not desired on the highway.
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

Hope you have a CAI so you have a more even flow of air in your motor.. Easy in and easy out...
  5. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator

Nope, no cold air induction. In fact, I don't think such a thing exists for my TBI setup. The best I think I can do is a K&N oiled filter and that's about it.
  6. RallySTX

RallySTX New Member

A 91 sub, yeah you can get or build a CAI. Check out CK5.com for vendors list. $400 for complete dual exhaust is nice because he made it quiet, and added the X pipe. I wonder how the shop owner gets arround not installing cats on vehicles without the EPA getting wise to it? I'm gonna do the same on my van, but I like a little noise, and the van is exempt from cats. Only catch is I gotta do it with one arm!
    Brian L.
  7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator

I took a closer look at the exhaust today. I knew it looked like the exits weren't even, and they aren't...by a lot! The exits are over 4 inches off from front to back. It totally looks horrible, but I'm not a good complainer to get people to fix things. Someone want to come complain to the shop on my behalf for totally botching this install?
  8. vncj96

vncj96 New Member

I would say you got a steal of a deal especially with an x and that much extra pipe between the donut to the mufflers. just simply tell him you arent happy and that you were recommended by very good word of mouth, and that you wont recommend him to others in the future. If he values even your dollars spent and future dollars to be spent at his shop he will correct it.
  9. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator

Really? Ya'll think I didn't get gyped with the cost of the exhaust versus quality and selection of parts? Granted, I went in knowing NOTHING of what a dual exhaust should cost, but I would hope that $400 would buy a dual exhaust with some sort of name-brand mufflers and preferably a pair of cats in the process. I was supposed to get a pair of tips installed, but I don't like the looks of chrome tips and therefore declined them, but it still didn't knock anything off the price. Cost was originally quoated at $350 until he threw in that I should really have an x-pipe which he sold to me for $50. I'll try to get that video up, I forgot about it last night.
  10. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator

Here's a video of the exhaust. I didn't get the whole exhaust under the truck, but I wasn't in the mood to crawl around under there and get dirty

[​IMG]
  11. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

Looks nice.. Love that X.......
  12. RallySTX

RallySTX New Member

Yeah, I would have been proud of that job myself. Looks nice and tight to the bottom of the truck. Mabye the botched tail pipes are a result of the price per bend policy. Some shops charge per bend, so he did that to save on a couple bends, and with the irregularities of undercab mounts, one pipe ended up coming out slightly different. They really don't look that bad in the video. There's no harm in askin for help though.
    Brian L.
  13. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member

u can tell the tips are off from one side to the other, id ask for a rebend or something. as far as the sound, i think its sounds great! has some tone to it, but not loud and should be good for hauling.

price wise you coulda done worse, i payed just over $500 for the duals on my 05, and that was just a cat back with a flowmaster. exhaust work is one of things you just kinda have to grin and bare it. it was $125 for a shop in VB just to chop out my factory muffler, weld a flowmaster in and a 1ft peice of pipe. coulda maybe done better price wise, but i think it could have been alot worse.

Alex
  14. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator

To be honest, sound-wise, the truck sounds almost identical to what it did with the stock exhaust. My stock 350 just sounds THAT good. :lol: I think I'll try to get it re-bent, but perhaps not by that guy.

I also think I'm going to try to put a pair of cats on to regain my legality on the truck. I think I should be able to cut the pipe and use a couple of slip-on cats myself. Should I put the cats on pre or post x-pipe, or does it really matter so long as they're both on one side or the other? It looks like I can get the cats for around $70 each off Summit.
  15. Naptime

Naptime New Member

It looks good underneath.
  16. silverado82481

silverado82481 New Member

What is the benifit of the X pipe ?
  17. nottmbantam

nottmbantam New Member

Just bumping it up a little....

I was thinking of having this done too. Was driving home the other night, and another Suburban drove psat me with the dual exhaist mod. Sounded great, and thought I'd love to have that done. Problem is finding somewhere here in Riyadh where I can have it done! Was going for sound and rumble rather than real functionality.....
  18. cmcolfax

cmcolfax New Member

The price doesn't sound bad, for the amount of materials and labor...

BUT... no cats will be a sure fire Inspection Fail of they are required in your state.

And it sounds like a pretty shoddy job if the ends were not cleaned up or even cut to the same length.

That would be unacceptable in my book.

I made a local shop grind and re-weld my Magnaflow when they installed it on my Burb.

Frankly the welds looked like CRAP... And they wanted to sell me a poilished SS 19' welded tip for another $100.

Glad I passed... I can booger weld like they did...

JMHO

-cmc-
  19. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator

The more time that goes by, the more I don't like the job the guy did. The mufflers drone like crazy at light throttle at highway speeds. I still need to completely rebuild the exhaust from front to back to make it acceptable.

Thankfully, while my state requires me to have a cat, the local inspection stations don't do a proper and thorough inspection, so it hasn't been an issue, but I do very much want to put a pair of cats back on the truck.