GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

dual exhaust question

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by chevy_truck_driver, Dec 13, 2011.

1. chevy_truck_driver

chevy_truck_driver New Member

i have a 1999 chevy 1500 with a 5.7 vortec that i would like to eventually put dual exhaust on. what would i be looking to spend and what would be good brand for something that sounds good but i would still be able to hear the radio. do i go with mufflers or do i straight pipe it. any advice would be appreciated
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

Go with mufflers, you'll get tired of straight pipes and there are disadvantages to them unless you run WOT a lot.
    I'd take it to a local muffler shop and have them build a system vice paying out for a pre made system, it'll cost less and you have more choices on tips and where you want it to exit.
    Magnaflow or Flowmaster, which are two I always use are good brands, but their are other choices.
    I'm sure theres a lot of trucks around your area that have custom exhaust's, when you hear one you like the sound of ask the owner what their running.
  3. chevy_truck_driver

I have had flowmasters mufflers on previous vehicles and they sounded pretty good and i was kinda leaning toward them but i am not for sure. what are the disadvantages to running straight pipes
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

The truck will be real loud with straight pipes and attract the wrong kind of attention.
    Without mufflers you get reduced backpressure which while not totally a bad thing does reduce low end performance and will affect MPG.
    If you delete the cat convertors you may have inspection issues.
  5. chevy_truck_driver

I planned on keeping the cats on to keep it street legal and and i wanted to keep it stock for manifolds to cats. i just want a good deep sound with no crackling and popping.
  6. Rbernsdo

Rbernsdo New Member

Well, my two cents goes like this... I have straight pipes (manifolds, two cats, true dual, no mufflers) and my buddy has the same set up, both on the same model truck as yours. Mine to me is too quiet. Driving inside, it is pretty faint compared to a few others. If you stand behind it or are driving behind it, i am told its f#*$ing loud, but its hard for me to tell. Reason being, my pipes and large magnaflow tips are pointed straight out the back. If I was you and I was redoing my exhaust and wanted to hear it, yet keep backpressure and mpg, I would get either a single or dual smaller mufflers (i like flowmaster and magnaflow as well), and just either 45 your tips or something along those lines, riding in my buddies truck with the same set up as me except his are 45's, it is extremely loud, so if you could scale the sheer loudness back and hear the nice throaty 350 rumble and crackle, I think you would be about set. Either way, Good luck!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW9NiZheUm8 That is my exhaust from the back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNOdUFTXUKw In the truck excellerating sound level

Hope it helps!
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  7. revscott

revscott New Member

I agree, I have glass packs on mine (on at purchase), love them at low speeds, but on the interstate its annoying. Also hate going through drive thru's with them. Cant imagine straight pipes. I am going to redo my entire system with either flowmaster of magnaflow for that low rumble and to hear them when I step on it. Also they are at 45 which makes them louder. Going out the back with the new system.
  8. Untouchable

Untouchable New Member

I used heartthrob exhaust on my 2005 and was very pleased with it. Price, sound, and ease of installation. I did a complete cat back kit for around $350. I'll probably go that direction with my 08 when I get a chance to.
  9. redreatta

redreatta New Member

another option

howdy, on mine i decided to get rid of the y pipe, and put some hedman headers on it. buit a h pipe and welded a o2 sensor bung in the center of the crossover. then brought it back to the end of the extended cab and put some off brand 40 series mufflers with an exhaust tip pointing out the side (you can't see the tips) its mellow at low rpms but sounds like nascar when i get on it.
  10. chevy_truck_driver

Thanks for all the posts everyone i have been doing some research and i think i am leaning towards 45s one because i like the look better and 2 because you can hear it in the cab better. I dont want it to completely overpower the radio but i do want it to sound god and i want to be able to hear it. I have not decided though if i want to do straight pipes or put mufflers on it yet.
  11. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max New Member

I would not run straight pipes unless you are wiling to be pulled all the time. I'm not sure what the law enforcement is like where you live but here Myrtle Beach you will guaranteed get it ticket for loud or modified exhaust. If you live out in the country you can do pretty much what ever you want.
  12. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I have flowmasters on my 95. it sounds great, imho. I have had the exhaust done 3 times. first was no muffler, it popped alot, I could not stand how it sounded. Then I put the headers on and had flow masters put on. The guy failed to put a cross over in so it sounded like two 4 cylinders, the passenger side popped and crackled because it was basically a strait pipe from the header to the muffler (no resistance). I then had it redone with a cross over and it sounds really nice. I can still drive thru neighborhoods at 2 am and not worry about waking everyone up, if i am easy on the pedal. If I get on it, then it is loud. But, with rear exits it is not bad in the cab
  13. chevy_truck_driver

I was just curious to see what other peoples opinions are on h pipes and x pipes. I have heard decent things about both but i was curious to see the sound difference in the exhaust with either in there and what some peoples opinions are on what is better. Thanks
  14. dogred

dogred New Member

My setup has headers with no x y or h pipe, or cats to flowmaster mufflers and then exit straight out the rear. The sound in the cab is low on highway or just cruising, but if I turn my head (one ear pointing to rear of cab) it is definately louder. If I stomp on it you definatly know you are strapped in behind a V8.
  15. dazmolek

dazmolek New Member

my buddy had a 98 ex cab with a 5.7 and he had duals put on after the cats without mufflers and it sounded good. With the windows up it did not make a lot of noise in the cab and also sounded great outside the truck. My choice would be put duals on after the two cats without mufflers. Or if you decide you want mufflers put some nice glass packs in it. They will quiet it while still maintaining a good sound with a little cackle.
  16. 07XCSB

07XCSB New Member

I run stainless mid-length headers on my 99 (5.3 truck) with a X-pipe and pypes race pro mufflers. I also had the rear O2s deleted. It sounds great. I run an X pipes on everything.
  17. chevy_truck_driver

would i get a smoother sound with x pipe on it with out as much popping and crackling becasue i do not like it when it crackles and pops alot.
  18. 07XCSB

07XCSB New Member

Yeah, the Xpipe will even out the tone and even out the back pressure.
  19. lonelywolf858

lonelywolf858 New Member

I usually do straight pipes on the 5.7L. Loud when you want it and loud when you don't. I have had Flowmasters as well and they droned like crazy on the highway. I currently have Magnaflows on my 5.3L and I love them. Great tone without the drone. Not extremely loud but I got the 18" which is a bigger one.
  20. redreatta

redreatta New Member

i ran a h pipe. i had a x pipe on it but my o2 sensor did not like it. no issues with poping or crackle.