Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

dual exhaust question

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by chevy_truck_driver, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would not run straight pipes unless you are wiling to be pulled all the time. I'm not sure what the law enforcement is like where you live but here Myrtle Beach you will guaranteed get it ticket for loud or modified exhaust. If you live out in the country you can do pretty much what ever you want.

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have flowmasters on my 95. it sounds great, imho. I have had the exhaust done 3 times. first was no muffler, it popped alot, I could not stand how it sounded. Then I put the headers on and had flow masters put on. The guy failed to put a cross over in so it sounded like two 4 cylinders, the passenger side popped and crackled because it was basically a strait pipe from the header to the muffler (no resistance). I then had it redone with a cross over and it sounds really nice. I can still drive thru neighborhoods at 2 am and not worry about waking everyone up, if i am easy on the pedal. If I get on it, then it is loud. But, with rear exits it is not bad in the cab

3. I was just curious to see what other peoples opinions are on h pipes and x pipes. I have heard decent things about both but i was curious to see the sound difference in the exhaust with either in there and what some peoples opinions are on what is better. Thanks

4. dogred

dogred Member

My setup has headers with no x y or h pipe, or cats to flowmaster mufflers and then exit straight out the rear. The sound in the cab is low on highway or just cruising, but if I turn my head (one ear pointing to rear of cab) it is definately louder. If I stomp on it you definatly know you are strapped in behind a V8.

5. dazmolek

dazmolek New Member

my buddy had a 98 ex cab with a 5.7 and he had duals put on after the cats without mufflers and it sounded good. With the windows up it did not make a lot of noise in the cab and also sounded great outside the truck. My choice would be put duals on after the two cats without mufflers. Or if you decide you want mufflers put some nice glass packs in it. They will quiet it while still maintaining a good sound with a little cackle.

6. 07XCSB

07XCSB Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I run stainless mid-length headers on my 99 (5.3 truck) with a X-pipe and pypes race pro mufflers. I also had the rear O2s deleted. It sounds great. I run an X pipes on everything.

7. would i get a smoother sound with x pipe on it with out as much popping and crackling becasue i do not like it when it crackles and pops alot.

8. 07XCSB

07XCSB Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Yeah, the Xpipe will even out the tone and even out the back pressure.

9. lonelywolf858

lonelywolf858 Rockstar 100 Posts

I usually do straight pipes on the 5.7L. Loud when you want it and loud when you don't. I have had Flowmasters as well and they droned like crazy on the highway. I currently have Magnaflows on my 5.3L and I love them. Great tone without the drone. Not extremely loud but I got the 18" which is a bigger one.

10. redreatta

redreatta New Member

i ran a h pipe. i had a x pipe on it but my o2 sensor did not like it. no issues with poping or crackle.