Dual exhaust questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by TrailFiend, Dec 29, 2007.

1. TrailFiend

TrailFiend Rockstar

i have a 99' tahoe 2dr 4x4, and it came with an aftermarket exhaust on it already...but just a single, and i dont know what brand. my question is, what is better as far as duals...

2 pipes into single muffler w/ 2 tips, or
    2 pipes with 2 mufflers. the setup now is 2 cats, into 1 muffler, with 1 tip?

what is best for compression? im not planning on going over 300-hp. i want true duals with good compression. i like flowmaster, but am open to rival companies. i want good sound like a muscle car too. thanks for the help.

2. TahoeFever

TahoeFever Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

mine i left with the 2 cats into 1 muffler since i still have warranty on the cats but i got a gibson duel exhaust with two pipes straight out the back and i love it ...when you decide on the exhaust system its really up to the owner on what sound you like for myself i like the quiet purr since i got alot of anal fellow police officers here and they will ticket ur butt for being too loud .

but when i step on the petal it's a different story , flowmaster is also a great brand i think it was flowmaster that has demo sounds on what the sucker sounds like on the truck ... either way before you buy ask around i know there are alot of people here with duals and singles hope this helps and good luck on your purchase

3. finalday7

finalday7 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The only thing you have to worry about with exhaust is back pressure. If you want to go true duals. I'd suggest two high flow cats (magnaflow make great universals) into X-pipe ( I think they sound much meaner then the H-pipe) Into two mufflers ( This is completely up to you but flowmasters will be the loudest but you'll probly lose a little low end. Magnaflows will give you great sound and performance at a higher cost. And there's plenty more brands out there.) And the tips can exit where ever you want, probly best to stay behind rear wheels to the side or straight out the back. If you going true dual, I wouldn't go above 2.5" pipes and 3" Tips. If you go with one muffler and two tips you could go with 3" pipes and 3 1/2" tips. This is just my .02 and there's more options than you can imagine but just for instance a good true dual system would probly run you, around $650-700
    Two maggie mufflers 165-200
    Dual High Flow Cats 170-200
    Two Tips 40-80
    X-pipe and Misc Pipe length 125
    And A shop to weld it all together maybe another 100
    This can deff be done cheaper so It's all up to you :great:

4. omegafiler

omegafiler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

That engine will sound great with a Magnaflow setup, even if you just replaced the muffler. For the cats, they're already free-flowing (straight through), no need to replace them unless there is something wrong with them, or you really feel like it. :) Otherwise, just visit your local custom exhaust shop and get an estimate. They can normally give you a recommendation on what will work and sound best with your setup based on what they've done before.

5. Doug C.

Doug C. Rockstar

I've got the same truck. I had a muffler shop install a Magnaflow muffler and stainless duals, out below the bumper. I've been told many times that a good muffler acts as an X pipe, and two mufflers would be a waste. And it sounds great, and really helped it perform better.

6. TrailFiend

TrailFiend Rockstar

i have heard this also. so you have a single muffler and dual tips? i think thats what i want. the lady who had this truck before me said that she took it to a muffler shop and wanted duals, but they said that there already was a performance exhaust, and there is no need to upgrade. how do they get two tips from one muffler though?

7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Almost all muffler manufacturers sell mufflers in the following configurations:
    Single in - Single out
    Single in - Dual out
    Dual in - Dual out
    Dual in - Single out

If you want to retain back pressure dont use over a 2.5" pipe, with true duals a 2" pipe is sufficient. Remember back pressure is key to proper exhaust scavenging.

Dual in - Dual out and Single in - Dual out mufflers act as an equalizer or cross flow pipe.

Unless you have a high performance engine (400+ hp) adding a cross flow pipe to a true dual system is a waste of money the engine wont benefit much from the pulse mixing.

Replacing the cats with free flowing cats has been shown on the Dyno tune repeatedly as a waste of money, all cats are free flowing according to mandated design standards. Older cats (from the 70's and early 80's) werent as efficient but new technology has made factory cats very efficient.

If your trying to get a deeper sound the exhaust needs to be routed to the back of the truck exiting at the corners or directly behind.
    For a louder exhaust exit somewhere along the side of the truck.
    For the loudest exhaust dump the pipes under the truck where the sound will echo.

Find a local shop to do the work, they usually charge less for custom exhaust over chain shops. You may get lucky and find one where an employee has a truck like yours and you can use it for reference on how your finished exhaust will sound.

8. Doug C.

Doug C. Rockstar

Dumping the exhaust under a pick-up, is one thing, but under a suv is risky. In Pa. it's even illegal. To great a chance of carbon monoxide gettig in the truck. Magnaflow makes a 2 in 2 out stainless muffler, that sounds great on my 99 Tahoe.

9. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

For some reason its not illegal here in Texas, although it should be in every state. Even in a pick-up you stand a good chance at getting carbon monoxide in the cab. Also dumped underneath the exhaust gets obnoxiously loud.
    Every time I see an exhaust system dumped underneath I think of the crazy rabbit guy in the movie Thunder Bolt and Light Foot.

10. mtj63

mtj63 New Member

since u have two cats i would keep them and get 2 cherry bomb extreme mufllers its an actuall muffler they make not a glass pack.get the 3 inch inlet and 3 inch outlet truset me you will love it i do.