1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dual Exhaust

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by gmagilla, Nov 13, 2009.

1. gmagilla

gmagilla New Member

Will dual exhaust off a 73 thru 77 Suburban fit under a 90 Suburban ? I want headers on Avaburb and if I do it myself I can do away with the catalyic con. LMC has duals from monifolds back with turbos for a 73-77 for $220 .
  2. TheUnit

TheUnit New Member

no - or it would say thru '91
  3. gmagilla

gmagilla New Member

What I was trying to get at is the Catalytic Converter the only difference . Didn't they start butting them on in 78 , so in catalogs they don't show early exhaust fitting newer trucks ? You know , kind of like why a muffler shop can't put duals on without the converter without getting in trouble with the law . I wouldn't think the frames would be to different , anybody know about the frames ?
  4. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

As long as you arent putting any big chrome tips on the end of the exhaust pipes you should be able to get it for the same price or less from a custom exhaust shop. My true dual on my 99 cost me 380 and 90 of that was for the big chrome tips I put on from Magnaflow. So you should ne able to get a custom exhaust, and EXACTLY what YOU want for under $300.
  5. gmagilla

gmagilla New Member

The muffler shops want to put the Catalytic Converters on because they say if they get cuaght doing it without them they will get a fine. I don't want Cats. put on . I'll have to call NAPA and have them look up the part #'s and see if the will interchange .
  6. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

If there was no cats on it from the factory they cant make you put them on, it would really serve no purpose, the cats are there to help burn up the crap that comes out of the exhaust and without having the O2 sensors to pick it up they cant do their job.
  7. gmagilla

gmagilla New Member

It has the cat. I will put the O2 sensor in the headers , don't it tell the computer the air - fuel ratio ?
  8. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive New Member

The muffler shop I use will do what ever you want to pay them to do. I've had cats cut off in the past and they asked if I wanted to on my current truck and I said no. Did you ask them?

You can always have them do the exhaust and then go back and put a test pipe in.