1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Duals on an 07 suburban?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by K9 Suburban, May 4, 2013.

1. K9 Suburban

K9 Suburban New Member

Hi Im new here, seems to be a nice site!
    I have an 07 Suburban and wanted to ask about putting dual exhaust on it. It has the fuel economy thing going on, when it says it shuts
    down 4 of the 8 cylinders. Sooooo, will this make it sound like a 6 cylinder with a straight pipe? What are others doing for power & sound increases??
    Thanks

2. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club, it's great to have you aboard. Sorry I haven't dealt with anything that new yet. :glasses:

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I've got a 2011 C/C with the AFM system that I put a 1 into 2 system with a Magnaflow muffler a few months ago. To tell you the truth when it goes into 4cyl mode I'm normally going about 65+ so even with the windows down all I really notice is the exhaust just gets slightly quieter, in the cab it doesnt make a lot of difference. Maybe the other drivers behind me notice.
    If you go to a dual from the cats back dont expect performance or MPG increases, if your doing this it'll be purely for looks, very few vehicles dont look better with dual exhaust tips sticking out the back or side, and sound which gives the truck a nice growl while tooling around town on surface streets.
    I used 2" pipes on mine from the muffler to the back, I did a neighbors truck (same yr/engine) with the same muffler and 1 3/4" pipes and after driving his truck theres a noticeable difference in the 4/8 cyl switch, his appears to be more responsive and doesnt jump in and out of AFM while mine jumps back and forth on small grades, slightly annoying but as I put miles on it and the computer relearns it seems to be getting better. Prior to the new mufflers both our trucks drove about the same where the switch over was smooth and consistant.
    And yes you can disable the AFM system with certain tuners, but after playing with the system some over the last 15K miles I've found I get better mileage with the system operating, almost 3 mpg better, and since I commute around 70 miles to work every day and normally run the cruise control it makes sense for me to leave the AFM working.

4. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the Club!!!

I moved your thread to this section as it should help in getting more responses/opinions.

Good Luck!

5. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Welcome to the club. I've only owned four vehicles 96 or newer. Three of them had 3800 Series II V6s and the other was a Dodge Dakota. Everything else was older so I've never dealt with any of the displacement on demand vehicles (closest I came was almost buying an 08 GXP Grand Prix)