1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dumb question about oil change...

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by shilohlee, Jun 13, 2012.

1. shilohlee

shilohlee New Member

So I changed my oil and filter a couple days ago. When i refilled it only took about 4 quarts, and the dipstick said it was overfilled. So I drove it for a couple days, no change. Everything I've read says it should hold 5-6 quarts. So it finally bugged me till yesterday i decided to redo the whole change. Same thing. I made sure to drain till it was bone dry. This time it took 3 quarts and is reading full. Truck's running great. What the hell? Should it take that long to circulate? Or am I just being paranoid?!
  2. carmantx

carmantx Member

What truck do you have?

Is it level when you drain it? Make sure it is, and let it drain for a while. You might also taking a small screwdriver and pushing in the drain hole to make sure something isn't blocking it to drain.

Sounds like you are not draining all the oil out of it.
  3. Untouchable

Untouchable Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I'd say the same thing about the oil not completely draining. Also, if you haven't owned the truck since it was new; you might want to make sure the dipstick that it has is correct for the engine installed. Sounds odd, but I had that problem with my 2005 model. Someone apparently just took whatever dipstick they could find and put in it.
  4. shilohlee

shilohlee New Member

Sierra 1500.

That's what I thought, but it was on the level, and I drained it bone-dry. I've gotten 5 quarts into it now, and it looks exactly the same. I guess I'll quit stressing. I'm taking it for a tune-up next week anyhow.
  5. shilohlee

shilohlee New Member

Nevermind, I figured it out :)
  6. kayzen

kayzen Member

what did you figure out? could you please share with us..