1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dumb Question - Rattle when hitting bumps, Struts?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by mrcaddy, Jul 8, 2009.

1. mrcaddy

mrcaddy New Member

I have a '95 C1500 Suburban. All stock, no modifications. 2wd with 196,000 miles on it. It seems to handle fine, but I've noticed a rattle-knock up front (left) when I hit bumps. The noise is very much like struts. These trucks don't have struts, do they? Could a bad shock make that noise, too?
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts

No struts, but worn shock bushings can make the same sound.
  3. mrcaddy

mrcaddy New Member

I got to ask.....are the shock bushings part of the shock? I would assume so. It's not part of the suspension, is it?
  4. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

yeah shock bushings would be part of the shock. sometimes you can get them seperate and change them out without doing the whole shock. The other thing to check is the A arm bushings, those can go bad and knock too. Possibly ball joint but not as likely.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts

Mine were so bad on the Tahoe that I could lay on the ground, grab the frame and move it up and down enough to confirm the lower shock bushings were gone. Gotta love those soft T-bars. I can jump up and down on my truck's push plates and it barely moves.
  6. bob13

bob13 New Member 1000 Posts

If you can jack the truck up you can check the shock bushings by just grabbing the shock and trying to shake it.
  7. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts

I had a front rattle with my 98 Suburban.One of the brackets that held the front anti sway bar was broken. I would get a couple of distinct thumps/rattles when I would hit a bump.It was actually more of a thump/clank than a rattle.

Charlie