1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Dupli-Color Shadow for Black Chrome Look

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by AMac, Mar 31, 2012.

1. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

I'm trying to black out or greatly reduce the appearance of chrome on my 2011 Silverado and have been toying with many ideas and accessories that would help me accomplish this. A lot of people will paint their various chrome accessories black so I was wondering if anyone has ever used the Dupli-Color Shadow to achieve a black chrome look. I was considering using it for the silverado lettering on the doors and tailgate.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/shadow/

2. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

The thing to remember with the Duplicolor is that the more coats you put on the darker it is going to be. I was debating on using this same product on my rims to get the same look. The first reason I didn't was because I am not sure how the chrome cladding will handle it. I would hate to spray them and have the cladding peel off. I don't know why it would but it is just a fear of mine. The other reason is if I was to do my rims than I would have to do the grill and trim on the front end. If you do it please post some pics and let us know how it went.

3. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That's an intriguing product. I've not heard of it before you posted about it so I can't be any help there. I'd be curious to try it for some of the same applications you are. I'm trying to, piece by piece, get rid of all my chrome and replace it with black so this might be a good option for some of the emblems.

4. AMac

well my fellow black chrome lover, I wouldn't dare to it to my rims since they are OEM and in very nice condition (good for resale value if desired). I am however contemplating it for the silverado lettering as soon as I figure out how to make sure they go on in the same position.

5. AMac

well I found a video sponsored by dupli-color. In the example they made the wheel really dark. I'm still indecisive about my bumpers and don't want to pay the money if I can do something like this. My dad used to do body work so I'll talk to him to see what he thinks.

6. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I tried it out on a chrome hitch cover as a test. I may not have prepped it right and it took a few coats to cover and subsequently is darker than I had hoped. If you are good with paint, I think it will be a good way to give you the effect you want. Me on the other hand will need to get better at it before I try any major parts.

7. lonelywolf858

lonelywolf858 Rockstar 100 Posts

I've been experimenting with small pieces before I do my bumpers and grill. I've gotten better each time I use it and I think I have the process down. Follow the Duplicolor instructions exactly. I also had really good luck clearing it afterwards for longer durability. I'm doing my bumpers, grill, and I'm buying the chrome handle covers etc and doing them.

8. AMac

So your plans are to use this product? Do you have the parking sensors in your bumper?

9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Dupli-Color Chrome comes out looking like silver paint even if you do a gloss black primer, first. This is very obvious if you put Dupli-Color Chrome next to actual chrome.

I half expect Dupli-Color Shadow to come out looking like dull/dark silver instead of black chrome. Do you have pics of something done in Dupli-Color Shadow? Have you put it next to real black chrome to compare?

10. lonelywolf858

lonelywolf858 Rockstar 100 Posts

I don't have the parking sensors in my bumper. The black chrome actually looks pretty authentic. In some cases I think it looks better because it lays pretty smooth when real black chrome can look blotchy.