Duramax 6.6 will crank but not start. help please

Discussion in 'GM Diesel & DuraMax' started by nyterydr1500, Jul 2, 2011.

1. nyterydr1500

nyterydr1500 New Member

went to grocery store and was inside for about 30 mins. came back out, started the truck like normal and it ran for about 30 sec. before dying. now it will crank but not start. fuel level is more than a 1/4 tank so that shouldn't be an issue. any suggestions or help? thanks

2. McMahan

McMahan Rockstar 100 Posts

sounds like the injector pump to me

3. 2wheelmudder

2wheelmudder Rockstar 100 Posts

id go with injector pump as well^^^

4. nyterydr1500

nyterydr1500 New Member

cool ill look into that! thanks!!!

5. yogibear

yogibear New Member

I have had mine do this too ( 04 3500 Duramax ) and have always gotten it restarted by simply pumping the primer hand pump on top of the fuel filter untill it gets hard to push down and then it starts right up !!!! After it starts it will run fine untill it does it again ( It has done this 4 times in about 4000 mi and 100+ temps ) I have found it does this when the tank is under about 1/4 full and think it is simply loosing its prime . It may be from the almost empty tank having a slight suction or mebby just having to lift it farther I don't really know and would listen to any thoughts that some one with more experince with these critters might have to say !!! I have a hard time beliving that it is a injection pump because I have worked it quite hard in between time it has done it without any problems as far as power and a injection pump doesn't come and go I don't think !!!!

Yogi

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011