1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Duramax Engine Block Heater Plug Question - Where's it at?

Discussion in 'GM Diesel & DuraMax' started by Brews, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Brews

Brews New Member

I just purchased a 2001 Silverado with the 6.6 Duramax. I'm can't seem to locate the plug I would use to warm the block when the weather turns cold. From what I read it should be located near the power steering. Is it possible this truck didn't come with this option? At what temp would/could this become an issue?
  2. wallstetter

wallstetter New Member 100 Posts

im not 100 percent sure but i think its an option so it might not have one
  3. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Diesel block heater plug locatioon

Water freezes at 32 deg F. Antifreeze will let you go lower. If you get consistent temps in the 30's I'd say that a block heater is cheap insurance.
    Here are a couple of images of the cord. It will be zipped tied in the engine compartment topside.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  4. freddie

freddie New Member 100 Posts

I have been looking for mine too. but i cant seem to find it either.
  5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

If you live somewhere below freezing for long periods of time then you need a block heater. People around here have never seen snow chains let alone a block heater plug.
  6. ippielb

ippielb New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

It should be on the right side of your engine, a pretty long chord, i say around 4 feet or so. You also can buy magnetic block heaters. Ones that are just magnetized and they will stick to your block, or your oil pan. and then you just plug it in.
  7. Rumpamuro

Rumpamuro New Member 100 Posts

a lot of times when you buy a truck used the previous owner already re routed it for those ive seen them zip tied near the tow hook or else hidden behind the wheel zip tied to the fender liner or upper control arm
  8. onelove

onelove New Member

Mine was on the left side zipped tied. I hate how its not long enough to come out the grill. We use ours every night so I wish it were longer.

Even if my truck isn't plugged in at -15 it fires right up. I feel bad if I forget though. Remember to unplug it before you drive off though. I forgot one time:eek:
  9. freddie

freddie New Member 100 Posts

I found mine...

My second battery is on the passenger side at the fire wall. If your truck is like mine then follow the positive cable down and it will be tied up to the cable right beside the finder. Hope this helps
    Freddie
  10. TWODOGS

TWODOGS New Member

ive never needed the need to plug mine in have never done it on any of my deisels and they have always started and have never had any issues with not plugging it in