Duramax Engine Block Heater Plug Question - Where's it at?

Discussion in 'GM Diesel & DuraMax' started by Brews, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Brews

Brews New Member

I just purchased a 2001 Silverado with the 6.6 Duramax. I'm can't seem to locate the plug I would use to warm the block when the weather turns cold. From what I read it should be located near the power steering. Is it possible this truck didn't come with this option? At what temp would/could this become an issue?
  2. wallstetter

wallstetter New Member

im not 100 percent sure but i think its an option so it might not have one
  3. unplugged

unplugged New Member

Diesel block heater plug locatioon

Water freezes at 32 deg F. Antifreeze will let you go lower. If you get consistent temps in the 30's I'd say that a block heater is cheap insurance.
    Here are a couple of images of the cord. It will be zipped tied in the engine compartment topside.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  4. freddie

freddie New Member

I have been looking for mine too. but i cant seem to find it either.
  5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

If you live somewhere below freezing for long periods of time then you need a block heater. People around here have never seen snow chains let alone a block heater plug.
  6. ippielb

ippielb New Member

It should be on the right side of your engine, a pretty long chord, i say around 4 feet or so. You also can buy magnetic block heaters. Ones that are just magnetized and they will stick to your block, or your oil pan. and then you just plug it in.
  7. Rumpamuro

Rumpamuro New Member

a lot of times when you buy a truck used the previous owner already re routed it for those ive seen them zip tied near the tow hook or else hidden behind the wheel zip tied to the fender liner or upper control arm
  8. onelove

onelove New Member

Mine was on the left side zipped tied. I hate how its not long enough to come out the grill. We use ours every night so I wish it were longer.

Even if my truck isn't plugged in at -15 it fires right up. I feel bad if I forget though. Remember to unplug it before you drive off though. I forgot one time:eek:
  9. freddie

freddie New Member

I found mine...

My second battery is on the passenger side at the fire wall. If your truck is like mine then follow the positive cable down and it will be tied up to the cable right beside the finder. Hope this helps
    Freddie
  10. TWODOGS

TWODOGS New Member

ive never needed the need to plug mine in have never done it on any of my deisels and they have always started and have never had any issues with not plugging it in
  11. Stealth

Stealth New Member

You should bring them to Utah, we'll teach them to drive in the snow. :lol:
  12. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher New Member

I am pretty certain the engine block heater is an extra cost option. So some used vehicles may or may not have it.
    Also you only really need it for extreme sub zero temperatures. -20, -30+
  13. onelove

onelove New Member

My Dad's Powerstroke would disagree with you. He came to visit, it was only around -2, & his truck would not even turn over lol.

He had to plug it in. Poor Ford:rofl
  14. Joeairforce

Joeairforce New Member

It's standard on Diesel vehicles, option on Gas vehicles....... (every diesel vehicle I've ever seen had one anyway)
  15. TWODOGS

TWODOGS New Member

been standard on any chev deisel i have ever owned
  16. Magnum

Magnum New Member

Not positive but my 08 didn't come with one and my bro in-law who works for a GM dealer said it didn't come with one and here in MD I wouldn't need one.
  17. Joeairforce

Joeairforce New Member

I would just about be willing to bet money there IS one... and yes, you probably wouldn't need it......
  18. Stealth

Stealth New Member

According to the brochures I have, the heater is an option that you have to order on the side. If you bought it off of the lot it might have the heater installed but other wise your're looking to add one on.
  19. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher New Member

I thought It all depends on which vehicle and which year and which packages the vehicle came with. In the past some vehicle packages it was standard with the diesel, some it was an option for certain vehicles built in certain years. There are base packages, LS packages, LT packages. So some vehicle builds that come with the diesel may have it standard and in that particular package the block heater is included. For other packages it may not be included. I believe NOW it is included standard with all Duramax diesels but in the past it was not standard and may not have even been available when the duramax first went into production.

GM has built all sorts of vehicles with all sorts of packages with standard and extra cost options over the years.
    Every vehicle that GM built and got a diesel in the last 10-20+ years I don't think also got an engine block heater as a standard feature no cost option included with the vehicle.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  20. Joeairforce

Joeairforce New Member

I'm done with this..... I'm not arguing..... This is not what this thread was started for in the first place