1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Duramax Engine Block Heater Plug Question - Where's it at?

Discussion in 'GM Diesel & DuraMax' started by Brews, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You should bring them to Utah, we'll teach them to drive in the snow. :lol:

2. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

I am pretty certain the engine block heater is an extra cost option. So some used vehicles may or may not have it.
    Also you only really need it for extreme sub zero temperatures. -20, -30+

3. onelove

onelove Rockstar

My Dad's Powerstroke would disagree with you. He came to visit, it was only around -2, & his truck would not even turn over lol.

He had to plug it in. Poor Ford:rofl

4. Joeairforce

Joeairforce Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

It's standard on Diesel vehicles, option on Gas vehicles....... (every diesel vehicle I've ever seen had one anyway)

5. TWODOGS

TWODOGS Member

been standard on any chev deisel i have ever owned

6. Magnum

Magnum New Member

Not positive but my 08 didn't come with one and my bro in-law who works for a GM dealer said it didn't come with one and here in MD I wouldn't need one.

7. Joeairforce

I would just about be willing to bet money there IS one... and yes, you probably wouldn't need it......

8. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

According to the brochures I have, the heater is an option that you have to order on the side. If you bought it off of the lot it might have the heater installed but other wise your're looking to add one on.

9. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

I thought It all depends on which vehicle and which year and which packages the vehicle came with. In the past some vehicle packages it was standard with the diesel, some it was an option for certain vehicles built in certain years. There are base packages, LS packages, LT packages. So some vehicle builds that come with the diesel may have it standard and in that particular package the block heater is included. For other packages it may not be included. I believe NOW it is included standard with all Duramax diesels but in the past it was not standard and may not have even been available when the duramax first went into production.

GM has built all sorts of vehicles with all sorts of packages with standard and extra cost options over the years.
    Every vehicle that GM built and got a diesel in the last 10-20+ years I don't think also got an engine block heater as a standard feature no cost option included with the vehicle.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  10. Joeairforce

I'm done with this..... I'm not arguing..... This is not what this thread was started for in the first place