Duramax Engine Block Heater Plug Question - Where's it at?

Discussion in 'GM Diesel & DuraMax' started by Brews, Nov 1, 2009.

1. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

If you are going to get upset then it is better you don't continue with the discussion.

2. 1flyfisher

You shouldn't need it for temps like that but it doesn't hurt. How were the battery? Well according to GM a Duramax should start fine at temps down to -20 or so.

""""""""The Duramax 6600 features a number of systems that improve cold starting, including direct pilot injection and a multi-function fuel filter. The filter assembly has a water separator that removes condensation from the fuel, as well as a heater that raises fuel temperature to at least 57 degrees Fahrenheit. As a result, the engine is capable of cold starts to minus 20 degrees without assistance from the block heater.

The block heater extends cold-start capability to minus 40 and can provide benefits in less extreme temperatures. The heating element keeps coolant warm and oil less viscous. The oil flows more freely immediately after the engine turns over, reducing wear during the crucial cold-operation period and full temperature is reached more quickly."""""""""

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  3. TWODOGS

TWODOGS Member

ive have 1 but never used it and mine has started in -40c ,but i would think if your batteries arent up to snuff you might want to throw some electricity in her .ya i know some guys state if you dont plug your going to hurt your motor ,if this was the case id be screwd but my gm mach buddies tell me it s all hype and the duramax don't need it and i keep mine in the best condition possible and i dont cover the front and have no issues with heat and besides why would i want to cover up my nice grill

4. Joeairforce

Joeairforce Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Not getting upset..... just don't see the point in continuing this thread-jack.

5. 1flyfisher

The diesel should start just like gm says and they recommend it for extreme cold -20+ but
    It isn't going to hurt the motor if you do it for less extreme temps like say 32 fahrenheit. It is an ok thing to do when temps drop below freezing. I think if it doesn't create any logistics headaches and is easy to plug in why not do it? If you can plug in easily even at temps above 0 say teens then why not? It makes starting easier and the vehicle is warm right away. I don't think it is in any way absolutely necessary till you get to really cold temps, like sub zero Fahrenheit.

6. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have a Block heater on my 06 and the plug was located exactly where it shows in the posted pictures from earlier. I have NEVER heard of a Duramax that has not come with one from the factory. I belong to a few different Duramax sites and not once have I seen this being an added item. I used to use mine all the time in the fall/winter until my cord got a short in it and the new upgraded dealer replacement cords are temperature controlled and will not work unless 0 degrees or less. I do enjoy the elevated idle feature though on the cool mornings.

7. jdsnowfire

jdsnowfire New Member

02 duramax
    i had to pull off the right front plastic inner fender piece to get at the cord for mine.

8. E_HILLMAN

E_HILLMAN Member 1 Year

Anyone have any photos for 2012 Duramax? I craweled all over and under the truck and could not find one. The salesman said it didn't have one but so was the case on a 2006 Dodge Ram I owned and I found the cord on it though it said it didn't have one. Now my 2010 Ram didn't have the cord but had the heater so I had to buy the cord and run it myself.

Heres to hoping the 2012 has one and I just don't know where to find it.

9. nikkeshelton

nikkeshelton Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I just installed one on my 4.8 2009 engine & it went into a freeze plug hole if that is of any help.

10. E_HILLMAN

E_HILLMAN Member 1 Year

I have the heater, I just don't know if I have the cord and where it is exactly and what the proper way to get to it is without tearing something up on my 2 day old truck. lol