1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

dvd player question

Discussion in 'Chevy Avalanche Forum (Escalade EXT)' started by night train, Sep 10, 2013.

1. night train

night train New Member

just bought my 07 avalanche, its an LS model which I believe did not come with a dvd player. the previous owner must have purchased the factory dvd head unit and overhead screen from a junk yard( its got yellow marker part numbers on both). the problem I am having is that he neglected to get the wiring harness that goes from the head unit to the screen. the head unit works when you put a dvd in it but obviously no picture. Another problem is that the stereo works but I have to crank it all the way to hear it. Could this be because he didn't get the amplifier as well??? I called the local chevy dealer but they couldn't give me any info because the vin dosent list the truck as having a dvd player. It pisses me off to have something in the truck that dosent work. If anyone has some info on fixing my problem I would greatly appreciate it.
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Got a pic of it? The factory one was made by Panasonic There are Tons of aftermarket ones most will have sound through a RF Mod..
  3. night train

night train New Member

don't have a pic right now. it is a panansonic with the 2 pushbutton dome lights and the black rf bar for the remote wich I don't have either. I took it down tonight and the screen and bezel snaps into the surrounding bezel. it has a flat 6 or 7 prong black plug which is not plugged in. I pulled the headliner down hoping to find the wiring laying somewhere in there but just my luck.....nada. I removed the head unit and there are 2 of the 4 plug ins being used . 2 are empty.
  4. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

When the dvd system is on it will shut down the rear speakers. Maybe, there is an issue with the wiring and the head unit thinks that the dvd player is on
  5. night train

night train New Member

the rear passenger side speaker dosent work at all and the drivers side is very low. when I push the source button on the controls behind the center console a small headphones icon appears on the upper right hand side of the head unit but it dosent seem to affect the rear speakers either way. a buddy of mine owns a sterio install shop here in town and I think im just gonna leave it with him . Either way im gonna be watching a movie in the back of my truck soon. I don't care if its the factory unit or all aftermarket.
  6. Pikey

Yea, there is something crazy going on there. When the headphone icon shows up on my radio the rear speakers shut down completely. It is pretty obvious when it happens. My son thinks that he is funny and sometimes presses the button with his toe to shut down the rear speakers. It took a while for me to figure out wheat was going on.
  7. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Pikey,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. I might not be able to provide you any technical advice but I a happy to look into this concern for you. Please private message if I can be of any assistance.

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care
  8. Pikey

Jennifer,
    I appreciate your concern. I am not experiencing issues with my vehicle. My dvd system is working as it should. I was simply commenting to the original poster about how the system works.
  9. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Pikey,

I do apologize. I misunderstood your post. Glad to hear that everything is working as it is designed to work.

Regards,

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care