GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

dvd player

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by brian704, Dec 8, 2008.

1. brian704

brian704 New Member

who has a aftermarket dvd player i am looking to get one i just dont know if i want the double din full screen or a flip out screen what do you all think.

if you got one post some pics please
  2. unknown19

unknown19 New Member

I haven't personally had one... yet :lol:.... but one of my buddies had a double din full screen and a flip out DVD player, and both where pretty awesome. I think it's just all a preference of what you want.. I actually liked the full screen player myself.. it was alot easier to see... but again it all comes back to your preference.
  3. pmf608

pmf608 New Member

They seem to be a bit more expensive, but I personally prefer the double-din units. They actually look like they belong there. To me, the flip-up looks a bit tacky. I would get such a unit for my truck, but my 01 is only 1.5din, so with the modding it would take, it still might look out-of-place. Your signature says you have an 06, so a double=din unit will fit, won't look like some tacky tuner mod, and will just look better overall, imho.
  4. 83BigBoy

83BigBoy New Member

i have a really good flip out in my Yuk. it's a valor touchscreen 7inch dvd,cd, and it is a great head unit to use very simple and non flashy.
  5. identityPRS

identityPRS New Member

i agree with the guy a few posts up. the double dins look alot better to me. they look closer to factory. i have a kenwood double din in my truck and i wouldent change it for the world! its all personal preferece...
  6. raisor87

raisor87 New Member

double din have less problems after long tern use but flip outs are less noticable and less likely to be stolen
  7. Fun stuff

Fun stuff New Member

I've heard of the flip outs hitting the shifter if your an automatic. In park that is. But i prefer the flush look of the double. My screen adjusts up a pretty good ways if your worried about viewing position. I run a Kenwood 6019 with the external navi unit for it. Good DVD for the price and if you want you can always purchase the navi later. If your worried about getting it stolen get an alarm. A 2 way one so you can actually do something when your getting jacked.

Attached Files:

8. silverado480

silverado480 New Member

That is clean fun stuff I have a flip out in my truck but I would prefer the double din one.
  9. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member

Doubbles are good. Remember that most DVD players won't work while you're driving.
  10. raisor87

raisor87 New Member

theres a way around that just ground out the brake wire
  11. BLUBURBAN

BLUBURBAN New Member

I just finished installing a KENWOOD DDX812 double din unit in my '90 Suburban in an overhead console. It looks pretty good. I'll get some pics up on here later.
  12. BLUBURBAN

BLUBURBAN New Member

Ok here's the pics I promised. Although bear in mind it's a bit rough on it's finish right now because I got impatient and was running out of time, money and decent weather so i just rattle canned it black and called it good for the season. I will be taking it back down next spring to sand it all down and smooth it all out before it goes back up again.
    I've also got to 'glass in the monitor as well since again I ran out of timethis year. But for now it's in, it works and I'm happy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. BLUBURBAN

BLUBURBAN New Member

This is the rear facing camera I mounted inside the rear window at the top.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator

those links don't work... And I was hoping to see this :(
  15. BLUBURBAN

BLUBURBAN New Member

16. teamneon

teamneon New Member

a PAC bypass switch takes care of most "dont watch while you drive" problems
  17. Evil_E

Evil_E New Member

sorry, im too lazy to read all the posts. but ill post up my .02. flip outs in most chevys dont have clearance and the shifter has to be pulled in as the screen flips out. and in my oppinion a DD looks more factory to me.
    [​IMG]
    this is my screen in my truck. what features are you looking for from a screen? Pioneer is pretty much the top dawg right now. even over Alpine and Eclipse (yes i said it)
    their navigation has 11 million POI to Alpines, Kenwoods 7 million. plus the bluetooth from Pioneers blows everybody elses out the water. but anyways...just let me know what features are important to you and be glad to point you in the right direction.
  18. nikkeshelton

nikkeshelton New Member

Where there's a will, there's a way!

- - - Updated - - -

Impressive!