1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dynomax/ Magnaflow/ Flowmaster

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by arbo34, Oct 19, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. arbo34

arbo34 New Member

I have a 2011 GMC Sierra 5.3 and I am looking to put a new SI/DO muffler on. I like the sound of the Flowmaster Super 40 but I read on a few places it does nothing for performance, so I've also been looking at the Dynomax Ultra Flo and the Magnaflow XL mufflers. I was wondering what your guys thought are on how these three mufflers compare.

Thanks
    Chris
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club, Chris. Todays stock mufflers actually flow quite well, so you don't see/feel a performance gain with just a muffler replacement. Muffler replacement only is really just giving you the sound. Cat-back kits have larger diameter pipes that are mandral bent so you get more flow.
  3. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

X2, you're not gonna see much if any performance increase from a new muffler. A cat-back exhaust is really the best way to go to get a nice exhaust tone and increased performance.
  4. Bowtie Man

Bowtie Man New Member

The flowmaster 40 series sounds great and I've been considering putting it on my truck too. However if your looking for performance than you might wanna go with a cat-back system like silveradotrailblazer and telorvehc suggeested.
  5. 89steveo50

89steveo50 New Member

What ever you do, look into getting a xlerator muffler. single in dual out. cat back. on top of that look into getting pipes that have 3 1/4 tip
  6. BrownPats420

BrownPats420 New Member 100 Posts

I would suggest the magnaflow's
  7. drueb

drueb New Member

I have a Dynomax VT SI/SO exhaust system on my 2010 5.3 4x4 Crew w/K&N Drop in filter. Nice sound, no drone and noticeable performance gain. Installed 30 days ago. So far, very happy...excellent quality product...for $290 at JEGS.
  8. GMClone

GMClone New Member

Bumping an old thread here, but wondering if you guys would say the same thing about an '05 - minimal performance difference from just a muffler? My entire exhaust system is in pretty good shape and I can't justify spending $$ on a cat-back system or more right now, but was thinking I could drop ~$100 on a Magnaflow muffler or something. I'm planning to get a Diablewtune sometime this summer and was thinking it might be beneficial to get a higher flow muffler before the tuning, to compliment my K&N CAI. But if there's not much performance benefit I might just wait a year or two to do the full exhaust system, and then pay Lew for a retune. Appreciate any input.
  9. Klutch Mclovin

Klutch Mclovin New Member 100 Posts

I was quoted $350 for a catback exhaust system at my local exhaust shop. Its not really expensive. You would lose money if you decided to get a single in single out muffler and then a single in dual out exhaust. You would spend $200 just for the mufflers. Why not just get a cat back exhaust system now instead of getting a year later. As for the flow, I believe an aftermarket muffler would be an improvement, but I don't think it's going to be very noticeable difference.
  10. GMClone

GMClone New Member

I guess I do tend to nickel-and-dime myself with things like this... I'll have to keep thinking about it. Thanks for your thoughts.