Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

E Load Range Tires on a 1/2 Ton...

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by wmkess, Feb 27, 2014.

1. wmkess

wmkess Member 1 Year

I am wondering as to what loading and/or trailing situations and weights require an E rated tire on a 1/2 ton truck? I have a 2005 Silverado 1500 4x4 with the 5.3L and 4.10 factory gears. I often pull a light 17' Basstracker aluminum boat and 19' fiberglass bass boat and occasionally pull a tandem 3500lb axle livestock trailer loaded down to 5-6000 lbs (including trailer weight) and also sometimes pull a tandem 3500 lb axle utility trailer loaded down to about the same (again including trailer weight). I tow the boats all over the place. I have not yet but plan to start towing the stock trailer a couple hundred miles away a few times a year and also currently tow it once a month or so no less than 75 miles away. The loaded down utility trailer only sees short trips within 50 miles or less from home. I was just wondering if an E rated tire was recommended for all of this? Thanks.
  2. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen Rockstar 100 Posts

What tires do you have on right now?
  3. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

E rated tires are rated at ~3100 lbs... usually they have additional belts to provide extra strength. The downside is they will run rougher. Allot of your decision will be what is anticipated to be your tongue/hitch weight. To me I'd just run the e rated... better to error on the caution side.
  4. wmkess

wmkess Member 1 Year

My current tires are Michelins, LTX M/S2, P265/70R17 113T SL to be exact.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...odel=Silverado K1500&autoModClar=Extended Cab

- - - Updated - - -

My tongue weights are really pretty low. The boats have basically none and the stock trailer isn't too bad either. The utility trailer really sags my back end with the tractor on it though.

The change in ride quality caught my attention more than the price. My truck has the Z71 package so it already has stiffer shocks and I was planning on installing a 1" add-a-leaf lift in the rear instead of blocks at the same time I installed new keys on the front and got new AT tires.
  5. grampy

grampy Member 100 Posts

I run E's on a 1/2 ton but for a different reason, I live 23 miles from 'civilization' - all crushed gravel road. The E's tolerate that much better. I even ran them on my late wife's Trailblazer. The ride is rougher but you get used to it. Something to consider might be D's, still can carry a good load and the ride would be a little better.
  6. wmkess

wmkess Member 1 Year

I appreciate the response. I will probably end up going with E's as one of my final tire considerations, the Cooper S/T Maxx, is only available in the E load range. The other I'm seriously considering, the Toyo Open Country A/T II, is available in a few different options. What's interesting on the Toyo is that is a P rated, 117T, tire but has a load capacity of 2833 lbs.
  7. TimTom64b

Check out the super swamper irod nd`s at 4wheelparts.com... for the 265's in your size... E rated are $143 each. I just bought a set of 285's for $165 each.
  8. wmkess

wmkess Member 1 Year

I'm also looking for 285's for my stock wheels and the Toyos and Coopers I mentioned above both cost about $240 apiece in that size for the E rated. I'll check them out as that is a pretty appealing price.

I have $1100 aside currently to go towards tires and the install but I also have yet to level my front end so I still have to factor in the cost of new keys plus an alignment. The plus side is 90% of the time when I'm not towing my boat I am logging farm miles so I can at least write off the cost of most of this. :glasses:
  9. TimTom64b

I'll post some pic's in my album... just waiting for some decent weather to put them on.
  10. Fan45acp

Fan45acp Member

wmkess, I really like my Toyo AT II. I'm running a 2" level kit with stock rims. The Toyo's really make the truck LOOK GREAT..
    [​IMG][​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG]