1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

E85 Prices

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Als09Sierra, Apr 1, 2014.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Anyone buying E85 lately? If so, what are you paying for it? When I bought my truck 5 years ago, I could save about 70 cents per gallon. Of course, that's in NY, where gas is taxed heavily and in 2009 when gas prices soared. I enjoy running it in my truck for the better throttle response and other benefits. Unfortunately, this week the prices by me are now the same as gas or more expensive. I asked a gas attendant and he said that E85 is going away. :grrrrrr: Has anyone heard this? I searched google and came up with nothing, but maybe I missed it with all the focus on flight 370.
  2. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I wouldnt allow a drop of it in my truck. I watched 2 trucks run like crap, blow black smoke out the exhaust and 1 had to go to the dealership after running it for about 25k miles. I think their was a thread on it here that several people attested to their being no self benefit to running it unless you only care about what it does for the environment. One guy I know that ran it in a Ford said that he lost power and several MPG running it. He switched back.
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

most stations by me stopped selling it a long time ago.. :neutral:
  4. Als09Sierra

When I first started using it, there were only a few stations that sold it. Recently, stations have been adding E85 and there are 4 within a few miles of me that sell it. I filled up last week and it was a little cheaper than regular, but noticed that the price is now the same or higher. I also see a lot more cars filling up with it.
    [MENTION=54154]the phantom[/MENTION] - I've had nothing but good experiences with it. It does burn faster and I was averaging 11 mpg on gas to 10 on E85, but since most of my driving is local, it doesn't impact me as much as others. Otherwise, the throttle response is better and I can feel a noticeable difference when I put regular gas in it. Unfortunately at these prices, I'm back to gas.
  5. squatchy

squatchy Member 100 Posts

Its a lot cheaper around me. I've been paying 2.69 for about 3 months. I havent seen reg less than 3,69, I'm tuned and have to run high octane, haven't seen that under 3.99 in a long time.
  6. Als09Sierra

That's a nice savings. I was loving it when it was 70 cents cheaper.
  7. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

It's got to be 30% cheaper to just break even, and most of the time it's only like 10 to 15% cheaper, meaning you're worse off using e85 when it comes down to pure cost accounting. If it makes you feel better to not use as much oil, that's the trade-off for you then.

There is a Kroger down the street still selling it. I think it's about $2.99 or so if I remember correctly. With regular unleaded being about $3.30 right now, that's right about 30% cheaper ...so maybe I stand corrected about the 15% cheaper remark. That's breaking even.

- - - Updated - - -

I found this website for e85 prices and I have linked to Texas just for kicks.

http://www.e85prices.com/texas.html
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  8. squatchy

squatchy Member 100 Posts

I just got shafted hard by e85. Ha. Put my lift on and 85 went up 40 cents over night.
  9. Als09Sierra

Funny, no prices quoted for NY, and the stations near me that have it aren't listed. Oh well.
  10. 06MonteSS

06MonteSS Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

yeah, you don't really save anything anyway, because you get worse mileage with it.. so you're filling up more often, spending more anyway hahah... that always made me laugh how people thought it was "cheaper" to use lol....