1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

earliest memory of working on vehicles

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Pikey, Apr 24, 2012.

1. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

All I know is that I was young. I would do the oil changes, help work on the land rover and other small projects, pump brake pedals etc. Sad as now alot of teenagers cant change a flat tire, dont know where the dipstick is (not the one behind the wheel:lol:) etc. I work at a private school and joke that I am the schools AAA as I tend to change flats, and jump dead batteries. I try to make the kids I am helping do some of the work too for experience.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I know what you mean about teens now not knowing how do do minor things with their cars. I have nephews that call my constantly wanting me to diagnose their car issues over the phone. Their answer is always the same, "Well, I will get the oil changed". They never do any maintenance and when something goes wrong their fix all is to change the oil. (Every 20,000 miles). My wife's parents made her change a tire in the driveway, change oil, and put fuel in the car before she was aloud to drive alone. My poor 3 year old is under my truck everytime I am. He could probably change the oil himself. At this time he can almost identify all the parts while laying under it. Today I taught him how to Solder, a LED went out in his alarm clock so I made him fix it. I am trying my best to make sure that when he is older he knows how to do something to his car.
  3. dipstick

dipstick Member 2 Years 100 Posts

From my mothers womb . Her belly was big touched the dash board . I went ahead and fixed to loose glove box latch whiles i was there .lol
    Now we gotta have some fun...
  4. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I don't remember when I started turning wrenches, but I was 2 when I'd sit on my uncle's lap and plow snow. My dad wasn't exactly mechanicaly inclined, so I didn't get it from him. According to him, though, I took everything apart and didn't always put it back together.
    I started with the bikes, then the buddy's go-cart, then whatever I could get my hands on. I have a guy for transmissions, though.

Reading some of the other posts, I find that I'm with you on passing this on to the little ones. My daughter was still in her carrier when I was putting the Mustang together; now she tries to hide at the mention of brake job! The kids don't even ask about bike problem now, just tell me they're getting the tools.

There's hope for them, yet...
  5. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

heh, for me it was on my dads tractor. thats my earliest thing. I didnt do to much, other then get in the way and hand over tools occasionally. mostly it was just watching and hanging out with dad.

same thing tho, he taught me how to do the basics. rotate tires, change the oil, do the basic things. Learn by doing as a guy i used to know said.

Alex
  6. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I started working on my dad's 92 Sierra 4.3 when I was around 5 or 6 really if holding the flashlight counts :lol:. By the time I was 10 I was changing the oil in the truck and car by myself. My first real big fix by myself was the water pump on my 97 Cheyenne 4.3 at 17. Thank God my old man taught me to do stuff on my own. When I have kids whether its a girl or boy, I'm gonna teach them early. I will admit I'm still learning but by now, I can change wheel bearings, brakes, water pumps, fan clutches, and other things necessary to make a truck or car go.
  7. xsparky

xsparky Rockstar

I was 13/14 helped my step dad rebuild my 1952 Ford F1 pickup flathead V8. Been working on cars and trucks and motorcycle and Army tanks.
  8. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor

^^^^^^^
    :glasses:Army tanks YES ..oh Yes..... if i fix one ,,,,can i take it for the test drive.....
  9. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I was 12, and we had to rebuild the brakes system on the 1980 Silverado wood hauler. Never got them done since the brake lines were shot. Still taught me alot just about using tools the right way and how to actually take things apart and put them back together. Oddly i use alot of the things i learned then almost every time i work on a car today.
  10. Brad Preece

Brad Preece New Member

My dad painted cars when I was a kid for extra money for us to vacation on and just to have spare money in general.
    I can still remember the smell of filler and helping dad apply it on those old cars.
    ive wrenched as long as I can remember in some way.