1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Earthquake in Oklahoma

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by NCN8ive, Nov 6, 2011.

1. NCN8ive

NCN8ive Rockstar 100 Posts

There was a 5.6 magnitude earthquake 44 miles ENE of Oklahoma City at 10:53:10PM 5 Nov 11 (local time). We felt the shaking here at the house for ~30 seconds or so. It sounded kind of like a convoy of big rigs were going by. Anyone else feel it?
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Really? End of the world now that we're getting earthquakes in Oklahoma? Maybe all of the hydrolic fracking they're doing to get natural gas out is speeding up the process?
  3. NCN8ive

I'm not sure how far down the fracking affects stuff... The quake we had saturday was 1.7 miles deep. Just had another one (4.7 this time) around 8:45 that the USGS is placing at 1.9 miles deep.
  4. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Call the local petroleum company and ask how far there drills have gone. In Colorado some have gone as far as a mile deep to extract fuels.

Shell Oil Company has set a world water depth record in drilling and completing a subsea well 9,356 feet (1.77 miles) below the water’s surface in the Silvertip Field at the Perdido Development project, approximately 200 miles from Houston in the Gulf of Mexico.

On Sakhalin Island, in Russia’s far east, temperatures can fall to 35 degrees below zero. Many islanders herd reindeer. And in January, oil crews drilled the world’s longest and deepest extended-reach well, 7.7 miles down into the ground and 7.1 miles out under the ocean. Seven of the 10 longest oil wells on Earth have been drilled there since Exxon Mobil launched its Sakhalin-1 project in 2003. Crews expect to keep breaking their previous records in the coming months.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Its gods way of telling you Oklahomans to stop stacking rocks behind those poor defenseless cows!!!
    Know why Texans always get better fuel mileage when driving North? Because Oklahoma sucks so much!!
  6. NCN8ive

HAHA tb.. That's a good one... I don't take it personally because I'm a Tarheel by birth... I came to OK because our common uncle decided he needed me here, and I decided to stay here because, financially, it made more sense to stay than to go back to NC.
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I've got a field office in Ardmore Oklahoma I'm resposable for and the technician there hates to see me coming because I zing him with a new one everytime.
    I really have nothing personal against Oklahoma, my problem is I like to get a reaction out of certain people and once I find out what gets under their skin I like to poke at it once in a while.
    I'm not a native Texan either the same uncle needed me here and much like you the economics of things made it a better choice to stay.
  8. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

I just heard the cause of the earthquake. Big show tripped and fell in Texas.:rules: