Earthquake & Tsunami in Japan 2011

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Mar 11, 2011.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

These are terrible photos of the Japan 2011 Earthquake and Tsunami.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 383man

383man Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Very good stuff- very informative.
    Unfortunately it only covers to 3-14-11.
    Since then there has been several Hydrogen explosions.
    The explosions have damaged the outer containment building and RELEASED SOMEWHAT HIGH AMOUNTS OF RADIOACTIVE ELEMENTS-CESIUM, IODINE + probably some of the primary radioactive fission material- uranium isotope .
    The fuel rod casings are melting/failing. They are releasing hydrogen gas which explodes/burns when it gets sparked.
    Freakin' mess.
    Luckily for us it is happening at least 5000 miles from the lower 48.
    I'm actually a fan of nuclear power because the alternative- coal mainly- has shortened the lives of MILLIONS of people over the years.(mine accidents and inhaling the various partially burned gunk that damages lungs-and SO2 NxOx which cause acid rain, and the nitrogen oxides cause smog.
    Oh well- very rough for the Japanese-end of world type stuff- many many many times worse than Katrina(probably 10,000 dead vs 1500 dead-+ nuclear reactors in trouble..
    Charlie

4. ChevyFan

This all is going to be with us for a long time I think. I've been traveling this week, what's the latest long term outlook?

5. ChevyFan

We took a trip to Houston during the week and I didn't keep up with everything going on as we had the kids with us 24/7 and I didn't want them to have too many bad dreams from all of the questions.

I've got to get caught up on what's going on over there.

6. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

In general things on the nuclear front are slightly better.
    One reactor does have a pressure problem-they are debating another steam/H2 gas release.The H2 always seems to explode when they do this.They has to pull workers back again because of a smoky fire??
    It looks like there won't be any HUGE release-the actual main containment vessels are still intact, and will remain that way according to folks on another forum who seem to know what they are talking about.
    Charlie