1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Easy Change for Distributor cap

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by RangerJ, Aug 18, 2010.

1. RangerJ

RangerJ Rockstar

Need to change Distributor Cap on a 1991 350 Chevy 2500. I have changed then in the past usually okay but have messed up a time or two. Are there any tips for easy replacement? Thanks

2. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

Unbolt the old one, but leave the wires on. When you put the new one on, transfer them one at a time.

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Be sure you put in a new Rotor while your in there.
    Oh and i know you have a TBI motor obviously remove the air cleaner assembly, and make sure you cover it. Not to talk down to you but i have accidentally dropped things into the TB in the past.

4. RangerJ

RangerJ Rockstar

Thanks for all the replies, I have a new rotor button plugs and wires along with the cap. And thanks for the TBI tip,I probably would drop something in there myself.

5. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

BE careful routing the wires since the plug boots tend to want to touch the exhaust manifold if your not carefull. Ive cooked more than 1 wire making that mistake.