Easy Tuner

Discussion in 'Programmers & Tuning' started by schmule, Apr 2, 2012.

Newest Photos

1. schmule

schmule New Member

Hey all I am looking for an easy tuner to basically help with gas milage. I am in an 08 Silverado and dont do much towing or off road. New job requires me to drive more than I thought when I bought the truck two years ago and $80 a tank a week is starting to hurt.
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have the SuperChips Very easy to use and with the Gas Save program I am Avg'ing 14-15 MPG With a few other things on the truck. And it's a 08 Avalanche with the 5.3. Read my sig below to see what else is on the truck
  3. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

4. schmule

schmule New Member

Thanks I do most everything in the thread that I can for work. Sometimes I have a load in the truck but I am getting older to no speeding and I drive rather conservative now a days.

What what's the mpg increase on average with a super chip? I get around 20 mpg now and have a CAI in the mail right now. So I hope I can see this closer to 25 mpg.
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I'm inclined to believe that expecting/hoping for a 5 mpg improvement from a non-custom tune plus a CAI .... is having unreasonably high expectations. 10-15% would be a significant improvement ... and you're expecting/hoping for 25%. To get the most out of a tune you likely need a tune customized for your truck. That'll cost you a few more clams but it'll usually pay for itself.
  6. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

20mpg is, in my opinion, outstanding, already. To get another 10-15% on top of it would be impressive. Trucks are, after all, about as aerodynamic as bricks with wheels. Thus, there's only so much you can do.
  8. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Agreed with the above. If you can figure out a way to consistently get 25mpg out of your truck, I'd advise you to call GMs engineering department and demand a job. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, it's just a lot of weight, power, aero issues, etc.. to expect that kind of efficiency out of. All of that being said, by all means set that as a goal if you'd like. I'm not about to say it can't be done. I just wouldn't have the slightest idea how. Also, remember, even a 1mpg improvement from a CAI and custome tune, which I believe is completely practical assuming you lay off the pedal, will give you a 5% fuel savings.
  9. lquattro04

lquattro04 Member

you could look at fuel additives as well. Most of the ones you see in stores are a joke and don't work, but if you do some research there are a few good ones out there. I ordered Bully Dog's fuel additive when I bought my tuner and I jumped from 11-12 city to 15 city, but that was also with the tune. I just ran out of it so with this new tank I'll see the difference. I'm going to run it for a month without it and see what the difference is. Ive also been experimenting with different gas stations to see their effect on gas mileage. From what I've gathered here is the order from best to worst gas mileage. Sheetz - i jumped 1mpg with this gas alone, GetGo, Sunoco, then Exxon. Exxon was absolutely horrendous, I nearly dropped back down to 12 mpg.

Keep in mind that I live in southwest PA so this may be different from where you live.

Just a little extra info for you.