1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Eating oil

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by kharlanov, Jun 27, 2011.

1. kharlanov

kharlanov New Member

2000 gmc savana 6.5td seems to be eating oil, a lot, is it common for diesels to eat oil at all and what might be the issue? thanks

or is it because im checking on cold not warm, because it shows about half when its cold maybe proper way to check on hot/warm???? idk help i never owned diesel before
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

HOw much oil is it using?? and how many miles are on it? is is blowing blue out of the tail pipe? and is is leaking any>?
  3. kharlanov

kharlanov New Member

173k how much using idk a few weeks ago maybe 2 i put in a gallon did an oil change about a week ago now its half way down, leaking a little but i dont think it can leak that much because it basically is just a few drops but why can oil leak?
  4. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

If you could determine how much it's using per 100 or 200, or 500 miles, it would be helpfull. A quart in a week doesn't really tell us anything cuz maybe you are driving 1,000 or 1,500 miles in that week??? Also when you did your oil change are you sure you got it full then, the oil filter, cooler, lines? If you didn't get it full then, maybe that's why it's low now. Also if you don't think it's leaking as fast as you're putting it in, then it's using it either because the valve stem seals are bad, or the rings aren't sealing in the cylinders as well as they should.