1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

EATON rear end?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by TIG MAN, Jul 23, 2013.

1. TIG MAN

TIG MAN New Member

I've acquired a '68 CHEVY C-20 step-side, with a 250 I-6, and an SM465 iron top. It's in need of E-Brake parts within the 3/4 ton brake hubs (full float axles)....which is when I started trying to find info from CHEVY about this rear end. It has a removable cover at the rear, and also a removable third member with a bolt-in pinion, ala FORD! WTH? My (shady) neighbor called it an EATON, but I haven't been able to find info or parts lists on the web, or GM. If anyone can help with info, or steer me to a website, my last two brain cells thank you.....they're really tired !
  2. grampy

grampy New Member

I have also heard them called an Eaton -"back in the day" GM sourced a lot of driveline parts from Eaton. I believe it is similar to the "modern" big 14 bolt unit. Don't quote me on that however, the only old "Eaton" unit I ever worked on, I just did a brake job and wheel bearings - and that's been a few years. As for brake parts, try LMC.

- - - Updated - - -

I just checked something else, a catalog from a co. iv'e bought a few diff. parts from. They list it - it's listed as a GM 12:25", HO72, 10.120" ring gear, used from 1960 - 72. The only diff. parts they listed (very little) were EXPENSIVE ! They don't sell brake parts.
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

They still do. Most, if not all, front (4x4) and rear truck axles are made by Eaton.