eBay and PayPal - PayPal 21 day holds

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by ChevyFan, Jan 4, 2010.

Newest Photos

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Just wanted to give everyone a warning. If you've not used ebay and PayPal recently, they might slap a 21 days holding period for money received from eBay transactions. I sold some stuff on eBay on 12/27 for a total of more than $1250. I am STILL waiting for the money. They will release the money within three days of delivery (extra slow becuase of the holidays and distance and shipping method) or if I get positive feedback.

I understand the rationale, but I could have sold this stuff on craigslist for about 75% of what I got on ebay, but I would have had cash in hand on 12/27 and could have spent the money (which I need!) ... now I have to wait until maybe 1/18 to get the funds, all the while PayPal collects interest on the money.

Uncool to not have warned me about this funds hold. I have had an eBay account since 1999 and never had a bad feedback. I'm no power seller but I do buy and sell many items each year... just very frustrating as I need that money!!!
  2. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

mhhhhhhhh, i never had a problem and still don't have. BUT YES ....VERY UNCOOL:frown:
  3. tnhusker

tnhusker New Member

I won't ship until the money is clear.
  4. captrcpjr

captrcpjr New Member

There is a reason for the hold, one of possibly three or more reasons. The first reason that it is most likely held is by E-Check and that is the norm for holding time. The second is usually setting up accounts through PayPal are not ready for activation just yet. There are a few other reasons that I can't come up with but you can rest assured I've bought and sold tons of stuff on ebay and money gets transferred INSTANTLY through PayPal. Just go to PayPal and see why the transactions have not cleared and you can be sure that they will be glad to tell you. They are very friendly and easy to deal with and love to help you. Hell they get paid to help you
  5. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Very uncool! :grrrrrr: You are right about craigslist, you would have had it then. Thanks for the heads-up on this.:glasses: I will let some of my Ford friends know about this:lol:
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Ok so I'm not the only one that had Pay Pal issues.
  7. anthonyl9

anthonyl9 New Member 100 Posts

Steve, I had the same issue with a payment I received. I was soo ticked off about it..and it wasnt even a lot of money. It has nothing to do with e checks or activations issues, here is their specific policy. My issue had to due with DSR since I dont sell that often..Hope this helps.

When do payment holds apply?

Payment holds may be applied to some or all transactions in your account if PayPal perceives a risk associated with your account. Here are some common reasons for holding payments:
    • You have been an eBay and PayPal member for less than 6 months, and, have limited selling activity, or
    • You have an eBay feedback score of less than 100, and do not have a record of good performance or
    • You have a Buyer dissatisfaction percentage of 5% or greater than 5%, or
    • You have an average Detailed Seller Rating (DSR) of less than 4.5, or
    • You have received fewer than 20 Detailed Seller Ratings in the last 12 months, or
    • You have a high rate of customer disputes
    • You're selling in a high risk category or industry such as, but not limited to, tickets, travel, gift certificates, computers, consumer electronics, or cell phones
    • You have a spike in selling activities or begin selling in a category without an established history
  8. ChevyFan

What is probably going on --- PayPal need to hold cash to improve their balance sheet for some business rating/reason. They are technically not a bank, they are a money services company.

What they're doing -- giving thousands or tens-of-thousands or hundreds-of-thousands of 21-day hold on funds from eBay transactions. They're claiming that it's only in certain circumstances, but that's not true. I've been with eBay since 1999 and PayPal for at least 4 or 5 years ... no issues.

So the buyer won the eBay auction - they paid through PayPal and I got everything ready to go and shipped it. PayPal won't let me have the money until 3-days after the package is delivered through automatic tracking or until the buyer leaves positive feedback.

We'll that's crazy. Shipping all this stuff cost $75 and I wanted to use the money to pay for it. Not only that, I don't want them to be a mediator between the buyer and me when it comes to shipping. Most buyers don't use feedback anyhow, and what if I wanted to ship through something besides USPS? I would have to wait THREE WEEKS to get the cash.

Very uncool.
  9. ChevyFan

Where's my money! You got my money?
    [​IMG]y?
  10. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

paypal #FAIL

That sucks. I've had a paypal account for years and while I don't use it alot, now I'm inclined to use it even less.

A few years ago I had a co-worker buy a laptop and he paid via paypal and the seller never shipped the item. He couldn't get his money back and was out $2200. PayPal told him it was fraud and they weren't responsible, and he should pursue the matter in civil courts to get restitution. That incident caused me to buy only from sellers that have been active a year or more and with a 100% rating. I would rather pay more than risk getting screwed.

Lately I've been buying more from Amazon.com paying with my google account, and pretty happy, but do watch the shipping charges.

I'm a big fan of craigslist. No shipping hassles and cash and carry. Besides, I'm a better haggler in person than online.:glasses: