Egine runs rough while idling

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Bear945, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Bear945

Bear945 New Member

Well I really hope someone hear can help me. I have a 08 silverado 1500 LTZ w the 5.3 V8. From day one when ever I stop at a stop light the engine runs rough and the tach jumps up and down like a yoyo.The engine also acts like it is getting starved for gas.I have had it in the dealership several times and they say this is normal. I have 8,000 miles on it.Thanks to one and all.

2. spazzoid13

spazzoid13 Rockstar

not normal
    do you happen to have what sounds like a vacuum leak? the one time mine did that, my (correc me if im wrong) PVC valve was uncovered and was sucking air and causing it to act same. I would pop the hood in the drive way and leave it in park, and see if anything sounds amiss. or goto a different dealer/shop.
    how much does it jump?

3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Take it to another dealership for a second opinion, I can tell you that my local Chevy dealership is a joke and dont trust them one bit, so my family goes about 25 minutes away and its night and day difference for service, sales and showmanship

4. Bear945

Bear945 New Member

i will try both ideas. The tach moves about a 1/8 of a inch.
    Thanks for both ideas I will let u know.

5. gernest2

gernest2 New Member

I had the same problem with my 03 silverado... I took off the throttle body cleaned the carbon build up with throttle body cleaner and I cant stress enough "throttle body" cleaner dont use carb cleaner cause it will damage the sensors in your throttle body. put it back on and its ran like a champ since.