1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

EGR inspection

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by Jamm3r, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 1 Year 100 Posts

GM apparently recommends cleaning and inspecting the EGR valve every 60,000 miles.

Does anyone do this? Does it make a difference?
  2. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

If they get stuck closed the worst you'll get is a check engine light. If they get stuck in the open position your life will be misserable (sp). Bad EGRs have been chased around this forum disguised as many other problems.
    I do not check them on a regular basis but thinking back on some drivability issues I will make a point to do just that. Thanks for bringing that back to the front of my mind.
  3. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

What can a bad EGR valve cause? Also how do you clean and inspect it.
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Rough idle and acceleration problems are the usual symptoms of a bad EGR valve. As for inspection and cleaning ... because it recirculates exhaust gasses, the EGR valve accumulates carbon buildup. Enough of this and it can block the valve open/closed and cause the symptoms I previously mentioned. Dismantling the EGR valve, cleaning it with solvent such as carb cleaner or seafoam, and then regreasing and reassembling it can rectify this.
  5. Conlan Rose

Thanks [MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION], I will do that this spring and see if it helps Tahoe out. Sadly the EGR is in the way of one of my hose clamps so I was unable to replace a hose when I did my radiator replacement.
  6. seffieldvillage@aol.com

seffieldvillage@aol.com Rockstar 100 Posts

I took mine off of my 01 s10, which at the time had 90,000 miles. I had an EVAP code, so I took it off and found that the pintle had stuck open. I soaked it in carb cleaner, and reinstalled it and it ran alot better and the code never came back. It was loaded with carbon.
  7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I will have to see if this truck has one. My 02 and 03 did not. If it does I will go buy the gasket ($4) and clean it.
  8. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I looked around and it sure doesn't look like my 2004 8.1 has one. I got the inspection recommendation from a Hayes book that has extremely poor coverage for the 8.1 so it may not apply. I have not checked my 1997 5.7 yet.
  9. Conlan Rose

Here is the EGR on the 5.7L Vortec engine. Not my best circle.... Mine is in the way of a hose clamp...
    2012-12-23_15-08-10_427b.JPG
  10. marksoldtowne

marksoldtowne Member 1 Year

hi everyone
    Main causes of bad EGR valve is buildup of carbon, soot and other deposits, and heat, which causes metal, like springs, to break or lose strength
    your EGR valve soak in cleaner overnight you need to clean its passages, openings and surfaces with a small brush. Toothbrushes and pipe cleaners are great.When hand cleaning, be sure to use chemical resistant gloves and EYE PROTECTION. Carb cleaner is nasty stuff. Basically, you want to clean everything you can reach with your cleaning brushes.