Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

EGR VALVE in 2003 silverado

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by derickheggie, Feb 20, 2011.

1. derickheggie

derickheggie New Member

Does a 2003 silverado 1500hd contain an EGR valve or sensor? I was just reading something and wondered if this was in my truck? Can it be taken out or bypassed? etc.

2. jreagan

jreagan Rockstar

Should have an EGR valve. Maintenance schedule says to inspect/clean at 60K or 4yrs. Why would you want to bypass it?

3. derickheggie

derickheggie New Member

Because my throttle body keeps getting gummed up, and i have heard this can be the culprit. i also hear it takes away from horsepower?

4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

As Mentioned by jreagan......Inspecting your EGR Valve is something that should be looked at.....went a EGR Valve is Clogged or Malfunctioning, it can Cause irregularities in Engine Performance such as Rough Idling or Valve knock, Indicating that the EGR Valve should be Inspected.....

Other Items that could cause your Throttle Body to get Gummed up could be.....Air Filter....MAF Sensor.

5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

The truck won't run right without it unless your building a track truck. If you remove it on a basic stock truck you will hurt the trucks performance. As '99HEARTBEAT said, I would remove the throttlebody and clean both sides with a soft toothbrush and throttlebody cleaner. DON'T use carb cleaner as it will remove the coating that is on the throttlebody blade. Seafoam and CRC are both good for throttlebody cleaning. Seafoam also has a kit to clean the intake manifold, you can see a vidieo on Seafoams website. I would also clean the MAF with CRC MAF cleaner, its in a silver can. CRC is the only company that I've seen that makes a MAF cleaner. Here again DON'T use carb or throttlebody cleaner on a MAF sensor.

6. derickheggie

derickheggie New Member

Thanks, Will sure give it a whirl.

7. zachh1020

zachh1020 Rockstar 100 Posts

Most 2003 Silverado's don't have EGR valves. Mine doesn't. The ones I have worked on don't either.

8. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

X2 & X3 if yours has one, don't bypass it or take it out. EGR valves actually help your MPG & help clean the air so it's a win win. Just check & clean it like mentioned above.

9. conroe

conroe Member

What about the PVC valve? Some corvettes put a catch can before the PVC to stop the oil vapors from gumming up the Throtle body

10. chevy247

chevy247 Member

the pcv valve on these trucks go into the side of the intake(after the throttle body) and i also have an 03 silverado and was curious about the EGR vavle and looked it up on alldata..NO 2003 silverado came with an EGR valve, all the other years i looked at did.