1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Electric cooling fan swap

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by sniper24, Sep 2, 2008.

Random Gallery Photos

1. sniper24

sniper24 New Member

I have a 1999 Silverado and am looking to add horsepower by swapping out my crank driven fan for an electric cooling fan. I noticed that the 2006 Silverados come stock with an electric fan and since i am hesitant to spend $500 on a new electric fan i started to wonder whether or not it would be possible to find an 06 electric fan froma junkyard and pull the swap. I have done a little research and dont see any reason why it wouldn't work so far. any input would be appreciated. thanks
  2. zippy

zippy New Member 100 Posts

Check out the Write-ups -- User How-To & Installation Guides forum for
    Electric fan swap Made easy by Collins Performance
  3. lawson4450

lawson4450 Member 100 Posts

the fans from the 06 i dont think fits a 99 the 06 is 34 inch radiator and the 99 is a 28 inch. get a set of LS1 fans from ebay or another site and get a wire harness from nelsons i got mine for 150 bucks.usually you can get both for about 200 or a little less.
  4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I bought a set of dual electric fans from Flex-Lite, for my 2005 Silverado 1500. They work like a charm, I haven't had any problems so far.
  5. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

i believe that you can use the electric fans off of some older GM cars with the 2.8, 3.1 or 3.8 motors, it just needs to be a dual fan, I know I have seen this write up before
  6. brlepore

brlepore New Member

why does it have do be dual?
  7. ct9a

ct9a New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

8. Z71_guy

Z71_guy New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

im planning on putting a flexalite in my truck as soon as i gather some funds haven't heard a bad thing about them yet
  9. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

My 05 Silverado came with factory electric dual fans. Fans controlled by ecm. When I hooked up my Diablo tuner with the live data, found my truck running to cool. Trucks dash gage said 210degrees, but was only really at 181. Had factort t/stat (195), put new t/stat and still to cool. Raised fan temps on and off and trucks is at 198 and runs smoother and better throttle response.
  10. brlepore

brlepore New Member

I just put in a single electic fan kit from TCI, that I ordered of Jegs, and its worked great and wasnt a bad price. It took me maybe an hour to install and it was Breeze(no pun intented). I was a little worried at first that maybe I shoulda forked out and got the dual system but its been fairly hot and Ive been satisfied so far.