Electric cooling fan swap

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by sniper24, Sep 2, 2008.

1. sniper24

sniper24 New Member

I have a 1999 Silverado and am looking to add horsepower by swapping out my crank driven fan for an electric cooling fan. I noticed that the 2006 Silverados come stock with an electric fan and since i am hesitant to spend $500 on a new electric fan i started to wonder whether or not it would be possible to find an 06 electric fan froma junkyard and pull the swap. I have done a little research and dont see any reason why it wouldn't work so far. any input would be appreciated. thanks

2. zippy

zippy Rockstar 100 Posts

Check out the Write-ups -- User How-To & Installation Guides forum for
    Electric fan swap Made easy by Collins Performance

3. lawson4450

lawson4450 Rockstar 100 Posts

the fans from the 06 i dont think fits a 99 the 06 is 34 inch radiator and the 99 is a 28 inch. get a set of LS1 fans from ebay or another site and get a wire harness from nelsons i got mine for 150 bucks.usually you can get both for about 200 or a little less.

4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I bought a set of dual electric fans from Flex-Lite, for my 2005 Silverado 1500. They work like a charm, I haven't had any problems so far.

5. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i believe that you can use the electric fans off of some older GM cars with the 2.8, 3.1 or 3.8 motors, it just needs to be a dual fan, I know I have seen this write up before

6. brlepore

brlepore New Member

why does it have do be dual?

7. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

8. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

im planning on putting a flexalite in my truck as soon as i gather some funds haven't heard a bad thing about them yet

9. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

My 05 Silverado came with factory electric dual fans. Fans controlled by ecm. When I hooked up my Diablo tuner with the live data, found my truck running to cool. Trucks dash gage said 210degrees, but was only really at 181. Had factort t/stat (195), put new t/stat and still to cool. Raised fan temps on and off and trucks is at 198 and runs smoother and better throttle response.

10. brlepore

brlepore New Member

I just put in a single electic fan kit from TCI, that I ordered of Jegs, and its worked great and wasnt a bad price. It took me maybe an hour to install and it was Breeze(no pun intented). I was a little worried at first that maybe I shoulda forked out and got the dual system but its been fairly hot and Ive been satisfied so far.