1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Electric fan conversion for 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 (5.3L)

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by SurrealOne, Jun 15, 2012.

1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Does anyone have experience with electric fan conversions? I have an engine-driven fan in my 04 GMC Sierra 1500 and am curious what it'd take to convert to an electric fan setup. I understand the 05 and later came stock with one, so I'd think I should be able to convert to one easily enough ... gaining some ponies back and, hopefully, cooling the engine a little better. I've already got an upgraded electrical system, so an extra 30-40 amp draw is no problem...
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I think for your year truck, a reflashing of the computer will allow you to use an output pin of the computer to control the e-fan turning on and off. You'll still need a high-amp relay to do the heavy lifting, but you won't need any additional temp switches or anything.
  3. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

My brother put 2 universal fans on his 99 4.3 and a aftermarket harness and relay and I might do the same but I'd try and hide the wires best I can or wrap them with that split flex tubing stuff. I hate looking at wires and they just get in my way...:grrrrrr:
  4. SurrealOne

What's he using to control the temp at which the fans come on/off and where is that temp control plugged into (radiator presumably?) The wiring's a non-issue and I have piles of 3/8" wire loom (the name for what you called the 'split flex tubing stuff', lol).

Reflashing to what {flash version} and by whom {the stealership}?
  5. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

im planning on doing the same by summers end and have found many how-to's all over the internet from LS1's to ford taurus swaps...
    personally i am going to go the LS1 route (2 fans) as opposed to the ford taurus route (1 fan, 2 speeds)... i will hopefully be starting it in the next month...
  6. SurrealOne

Any chance you might do a guide in the process ... or link a guide you've found to work well?
  7. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Yeah [MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION] the temp sensor is just plugged into the radiator I belive.
  8. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

@surreal, you may be able to find a wrecked 05 + and take a look at whats different between those and yours. most everything should just bolt right up. My buddy that has a 99 silverado was looking at doing the same thing. I loved the electric fans in my 05, gave you more room to work and more clearance to check the serpentine belt and so on. I also thought they were quiter the the engine driven fan.

Alex
  9. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

If the install goes great, i might try to do a guide, but if for some reason i cant i do have a few links for you to check out, although most deal with silverados, but sierra should be the same foundation...
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/general-discussion/performance/475723-electric-fan-swap.html

well i though i had about 2 or 3... anyway google is definitely your best friend here :)
    but from everything i have seen this install seems to be about a 4 out of 10 difficulty rating!
  10. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'm not sure what version the software in the computer has to be, but I know there are boatloads of companies out there that can do it. You definitely don't have to go to the dealership and I don't think they'd help you anyway. There may even be a handheld tuner that can do it, but I haven't researched it alot as I don't have a truck I can do that to.

I am planning on doing the Mark VIII fan conversion. It's very similar to the Taurus fan swap except I think it moves a couple CFM more air through it. It's one HUGE fan. When I do the install I'll be taking pics the whole way. I'm going to have to go with a fan controller for mine and figure out where I should put the temp probe.