electric fan - mechanical replacement

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by K15 Blazer Guy, May 26, 2013.

1. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy New Member

has anyone gotten an electric fan to replace the mechanical clutch fan on their truck?
    by deleting the fan you gain more HP than a K&N cold air intake.
    and the engine revs up quicker/smoother

what have you bought? how do you like it?

i did put in a Lincoln mark VIII fan for a while, but then it burned out lol
  2. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

ls1 dual fan setup, works great!
    still have yet to actually get it tuned though...
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

I'm running Flex-a-Lite (P/N 282) electric fans with the on-temp set to the lowest setting possible. I love them, as they're on when the AC is on, rendering ice cold AC even when at a dead stop. Aside from that they really don't come on much while driving (and tend to be on mostly when at slower speeds) -- which is likely due to having upgraded my radiator from the 28" to the alternate 34" size (which was a pre-requisite to use these fans).

My one complaint (which is not the fault of the fans or their controller) is that the AC system will cycle on/off momentarily when the climate control system is in automatic mode -- even when it's not needed. This will spin the fans up and then cut them off for no good reason. Thus, in winter months I'll turn the climate control system to auto mode and then turn off the AC (which leaves the climate control system still in automatic mode) to avoid this cycling. Somewhat annoying, but a very minor nuissance.

I should also say these fans have a pretty hefty power draw ... but I already had the upgraded alternator and electrical system to support them.
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

I run a Taurus electric wired through a Flexi fan temp system with a water crossing cutt off switch for the radiator, on the trans, powersteering, and t case I use an 8" 12v equipment cooling fan from a Fruehoff semi cold trailet, I have that one wired through a reostat switch, I have a temp sensor sandwhiched between the coolers.
  5. K15 Blazer Guy

i was thinking of wiring in a manual switch for this 3000 cfm fan i found.
    its 16" and will fit in the stock fan shroud after i fab up some mounting brackets.
    will i need something special besides a fuse to wire this up? it only draws 10 ams...
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

Personally I prefer to wire items through a relay which leaves you only running low amp signal wires through the firewall to the interior.
  7. K15 Blazer Guy

I cant find the corect relay though
    they all include a temp. unit. and i dont want to mess with that.
    i just want a simple on-off switch relay... ill try calling summit's help later this week.
  8. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator

9. 4x4squared

4x4squared New Member

in my opinion, you should just throw on a flex-a-lite. you can get em from jegs or summit for around $40 i think it was for mine. it flattens out and higher rpm so you have very little drag and they cool just fine. only problem i ever heard about them is them falling apart but i never had that problem and if i couldnt break it, its a damn good product lol. best part about it: NO WIRES :D
  10. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator

11. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

40 dollars? Heh, I wish my Flex-a-lites had been that cheap!
  12. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

Hes just changing out the belt driven fan blades on the truck for flexi alukinium blades and leaving the belt drive.
    And he did point out a huge issue with the aluminium blades, they develop fatigue cracks at the rivets and throw fan blades. Dont know of anyone injured this way but I have seen more than 1 fan shroud tore up.
  13. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

Ahh that makes more sense. I don't like the sound of fatique damage, though...
  14. K15 Blazer Guy

yeah, im gonna get a brand-new 3,000 CFM 16" fan from summit, and somehow attatch it inside the stock 2 piece fan shrowd...

i did the same thing with my big ford lincoln mark VIII fan i had. worked great untill it seized.... but i suspect thats because i didnt use a relay, i just used heavy guage wire direct from the battery.

but you do gain HP, MPG, and lower operating temps.
  15. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator

How were you controlling when the Mark VIII fan came on and off without a relay?
  16. 4x4squared

4x4squared New Member

yep. sry lol i suppose i was a bit vague

so i tried to find my pics of my fans but they seem to be gone from my computer and i lost my ipod that i took them with...

looked kinda like this guy
    fan.jpg
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  17. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

Yep, watch the rivet holes where it mounts to the base, thats where they fail.
    My understanding is their failure is directly related to how well they do moving air, the blades flatten out at high speed then at lower speed they curl back up, this constant stress on the metal causes the rivets to work loose then allows the metal to start cracking at the rivet holes.
    Like I said I've seen them tear up fan shrouds when they let loose, and I've seen a blade go through the hood of a vehicle once.
  18. K15 Blazer Guy

i had a heavy duty toggle swtich on the dash.
    just watched the temp to get it warm up faster, then kept it on driving around town
  19. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator

That might be why the fan failed. I've read those fans pull over 50 amps continuous on low speed and a lot more when they first turn on.
  20. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator

Just reading the thread title, my first thought was that you had the e-fans installed and were wanting to swap back to a mechanical fan and I was all "WWHAAAAATT????"