1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

electric fan - mechanical replacement

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by K15 Blazer Guy, May 26, 2013.

1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

40 dollars? Heh, I wish my Flex-a-lites had been that cheap!
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Hes just changing out the belt driven fan blades on the truck for flexi alukinium blades and leaving the belt drive.
    And he did point out a huge issue with the aluminium blades, they develop fatigue cracks at the rivets and throw fan blades. Dont know of anyone injured this way but I have seen more than 1 fan shroud tore up.
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Ahh that makes more sense. I don't like the sound of fatique damage, though...
  4. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

yeah, im gonna get a brand-new 3,000 CFM 16" fan from summit, and somehow attatch it inside the stock 2 piece fan shrowd...

i did the same thing with my big ford lincoln mark VIII fan i had. worked great untill it seized.... but i suspect thats because i didnt use a relay, i just used heavy guage wire direct from the battery.

but you do gain HP, MPG, and lower operating temps.
  5. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

How were you controlling when the Mark VIII fan came on and off without a relay?
  6. 4x4squared

4x4squared Member 2 Years 100 Posts

yep. sry lol i suppose i was a bit vague

so i tried to find my pics of my fans but they seem to be gone from my computer and i lost my ipod that i took them with...

looked kinda like this guy
    fan.jpg
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yep, watch the rivet holes where it mounts to the base, thats where they fail.
    My understanding is their failure is directly related to how well they do moving air, the blades flatten out at high speed then at lower speed they curl back up, this constant stress on the metal causes the rivets to work loose then allows the metal to start cracking at the rivet holes.
    Like I said I've seen them tear up fan shrouds when they let loose, and I've seen a blade go through the hood of a vehicle once.
  8. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

i had a heavy duty toggle swtich on the dash.
    just watched the temp to get it warm up faster, then kept it on driving around town
  9. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

That might be why the fan failed. I've read those fans pull over 50 amps continuous on low speed and a lot more when they first turn on.
  10. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Just reading the thread title, my first thought was that you had the e-fans installed and were wanting to swap back to a mechanical fan and I was all "WWHAAAAATT????"