Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

electric fan - mechanical replacement

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by K15 Blazer Guy, May 26, 2013.

1. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

it overheated on a mountain road the other day....
    miles and miles of cruising in 2nd and 3rd gear caused it to boil over at about 240 X(
    so i filled in that 2.5 inch gap radius around the fan with some fabed up sheet metal (ill take pics later) and ill try again.
    clearly it was not drawing enough air through the radiator.
    im thinking that 3,000 CMF may not be enough to cool the engine under steady load for that long....

now that the seal is tighter hopefully it will now draw the full 3000 cfm through the radiator. but i may have just wasted $140....
    in other news, my gas millage is up my 3mpg to a tank range of over 450 miles
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Hopefully that helped. May need a higher CFM fan too. Glad the MPG went up.
  3. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

i guarantee thats plenty of airflow...
    its all about that space between the fan and the radiator, seal it up as best as possible, I had a thread on here a long while back about my engine heating up really fast, and come to find out It was because I had removed my stock mechanical fan "shroud" while I had been measuring over the weekend my my efan install. I decided it wouldnt be a big deal to leave that big hunk of plastic out of the engine bay because what harm would it do??? WRONG! its all about pulling the air THROUGH the radiator, otherwise youll have what i had, which is hot air recirculating under the hood.... I put the plastic shroud back on and my problems went away instantly. of course i Have efans now so no problems, but the LS1 fans literally sit flush up against the radiator, so definitely no flow problems there...

seal those gaps up and youll be alright
  4. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I wish I looked closer at the fans you guys said you installed.
    they're all dual set ups that run over 5000 CFM

so yeah...
    its either buy a second fan, and make my own dual housing/shroud,
    go back to stock,
    or drop $600+ in the set up some of you have
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013