1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Electric fan swap Made easy

Discussion in 'How-to Guides' started by collinsperformance, Jul 19, 2008.

1. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I will pull this from a couple folders. This swap can be done to any make car/truck/buggy/RV or anywhere you like. I done this many times and never sorry of the results.
    Parts list
    1- Electric Fan-----Junk yard from any Ford Tarus with a 3.8 motor or any newer T-Bird or Mark 8
    1 constant duty relay--This can be a junk yard as well look in van conversions or RVs or most any modified vehicle or New from any parts store.
    1- Fan controler install kit. I get this new each time there are a few different types. I get the one that has a probe that inserts to the raditor.
    1 - 30 amp Fuse and holde.
    some misc crimp connectors and wire.

ok --to the swap.
    disconnect the battery-----this is for safty reasons.
    depending on vehicle you might or might not need to loosen the fan shroud. yu need to remove the 4 bolts holding the fan to the pulley. once the fan is removed remove the spacer if there is one. reinstall th 4 bolt into the pulley (you might need to get 4 new shorter bolts but make sure the pulley is rebolted to the water pump.
    now get your new to you fan.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this was the junk yard relay i got.
    [​IMG]
  2. collinsperformance

now you need to find a spot to mount the relay. close to the fan or the batter is best. I installed a power tap and i will pull puwer from it.
    [​IMG]
    now you need to mount the fan and shroud. you can make your own bracket or mount or they make thru the raditor zip ties these are nice. here are the misc parts and new relay i got to do my 502 motorhome.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  3. collinsperformance

[​IMG]
    here is the fan in my motorhome. it goes right in. i like having the built in shroud.
    [​IMG]
    now it is time to install the fan controler
    [​IMG]
    now it is time to run some wires.
    i rune a 12 awg wire from the power tap to a 30 amp fuse (i like to use Blade fuses). I then go from the fuse to the battery side (eather side but one of the large posts) or the relay. then the other side of the relay to the High power feed on the fan.
    I then run a ground wire 12AWG from the fan ground to a frame ground.
    this is the high power side of the electric fan now for the lower voltage side.
    find an ignition hot wire. tap into it and run a 14 or 16AWG wire to the the fan controler the output from the fan controler to the smaller or signal input for the relay (eathere small pole will work). then the other small connector goes to a ground. now recheck all your connections and wires so all are clear of any moving parts. reconnect the battery.
    start the car and see when the fan comes on and adjust as needed. i like mine to come on at almost 1/2 way up the temp scale and off almost 1/4 of the way down the temp scale.
    i hope this goes as easy for you as it has for me each time. what a difference.......mike
  4. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Is the single fan sufficient for the 5.7L 'Burb or should I look at doubling up (if space permits)?
  5. collinsperformance

Research shows the Ford fan out performs any after market electric fan. One fam is more than enough for a 5.7. These fans have a High and Low connection on some motors i had the low was enough. I got the one on my 502 in my motor home and it never gets to 200 degrees even whm pulling the trailer with the bronco or a 30 fishing boat. the gauge never gets to the 1/2 way mark on the gauge going up the Grape vine pulling a trailer. these fans are great. now i have seen some people run duals and not have any issues but your alt better put out more then 65 amps or the battery will discharge.
    [​IMG]
    Mike
  6. USMCRay

USMCRay New Member

I went to the U-pull-it yard this morning and picked up a fan off a Taurus. I installed it and I love the results. The only thing I didn't do was put a thermostat switch on it but it seems to keep it between 180 and 190 even when it is idling in 90 plus degrees. The only hard part was trying to find a place to get power when the ignition was on. This is probably one of the best and cheapest mods I have done.
  7. collinsperformance

if you installed the constant duty relay you can pull a tap off the coil pack. the relay does not take any power to switch this is why it is the perfect part for this. You can run a second relay and use a toggle switch so you can use low or high as needed and take some of the load off the alt. in the off road world we have a switch for high and low and off if you were doing water crossings....these are the best working and best price fan i ever found.....mike
  8. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

USMCRay, looks like you're gonna be helping me with my electric fan conversion then, seeing as you now have experience in the matter, and happen to be around the proverbial corner... :lol:

EDIT: Ray, do we have any decent junkyards over in Pearl River? Knipprs down here in Slidell sucks bad, poor quality, low selection, and high prices. :(
  9. USMCRay

USMCRay New Member

The fan I got has only one speed that I am aware of. Just a red and black wire. I used a regular relay from NAPA and I have yet to put a switch on it because I really don't plan on doing any deep water fording. I am thinking about getting a thermostat because I am afraid that when the weather starts to cool down, if it ever does, I might be running it too cool. Crawdaddy I go Barry's u-pull-it in Gulfport. They have a decent selection and it changes daily. There also is a yard around Hammond but I haven't had a chance to go there yet. They fan install was easy except trying to find an acc source under the hood which there are none so I had to route a wire to the fuse panel. All in all it took about 4 hours because it was hot as hell and I made sure it was all nice and neat and factory looking except for the little oval on it that says ford. I will try to find some pics of my install and put on here.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  10. USMCRay

USMCRay New Member

This is the relay that I used.[​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2008